50mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cantwell View Post
If it's the AF noise you're worried about, it won't be a problem, since you'll be focusing manually, right? ;-)
Hopefully you wont be using a dslr camera for a ceremony.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I use the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 Its a solid lens that I purchased more for photography just because of the quick auto focus and sharp "L-like" glass. I do use it for video sometimes, but I actually prefer my Canon 50mm 1.4 and Tokina 11-16mm more.
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #18
Major Player

if i had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the 28

why?
1) closer to the natural eye
2) more range
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
I would recommend getting both the 50 1.4 and the 28 1.8 for shooting weddings. That is not all you will need, but those two lenses will be great for shooting the reception. I have gone to shooting with fast primes for the reception, mainly because zoom lenses are limited to 2.8. I tried using 2.8 lenses, but for dark receptions, it just wasn't fast enough.

I like to have one camera getting closeups and a second camera getting wide shots during the first dance and parent dances. The 28 will work well for wider shots, as long as you do not want a super wide shot, but the 50 may be limiting for close shots, unless it's a really small dance floor. For the last several months I have been using an 85 1.4 for close shots of the special dances and it is great.
Are there short focal length prime lenses that have "vibration control" or "image stabilization" or is that strictly a feature of zooms?
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The only prime I know of that has IS is the Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro lens. Looks like if you're looking for a lens faster than F2.8 with IS, you're out of luck.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD