DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Pre-striping Compact Flash Cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/487664-pre-striping-compact-flash-cards.html)

Craig Campbell November 18th, 2010 09:45 AM

Pre-striping Compact Flash Cards

Hello, not been on the board for a while but I do need to upload the underwater footage our students shot and the projects, will soon!

Anyway, I have a technical question.

I want to start pre striping P2 cards using P2 CMS which I understand and it works fine.

Can you do the same with the Compact flash cards? Would aperture do this?

I basically want the students to be able to add metadata to cards before they shoot.

Thanks

Craig Campbell

Dave Partington November 19th, 2010 05:56 PM

Compact flash is like a hard disk in as far as it allows the computer within the camera to write files to it. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no striping, no time code etc etc.

Your computer will read the files. Any timecode and meta data is in the files, not somehow otherwise on the card.

No striping required! Simply format the card in the camera and start shooting.

Daniel Epstein November 20th, 2010 11:14 AM

Personally I like formatting any media in the device I am going to use it in rather than relying on any other device to format. Gives me the opportunity to see how the gear which is going to use it likes it.

Craig Campbell November 21st, 2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1589826)
Compact flash is like a hard disk in as far as it allows the computer within the camera to write files to it. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no striping, no time code etc etc.

Your computer will read the files. Any timecode and meta data is in the files, not somehow otherwise on the card.

No striping required! Simply format the card in the camera and start shooting.

Ah sorry, think you got confused with what I meant.

With the P2 route, I can write metadata using P2CMS that I can then add to my clips before shooting. So when they go to shoot they can load up the specific metadata profile and stamp it to the card. Anything that is then shot will have the extra metadata which may be shooter name, location, producer etc.

I understand how this can be done after someone shoots on a DSLR I just wondered if there was any way to do the same as I do with the P2.

Thanks

Kin Lau November 21st, 2010 09:07 PM

I'm not aware of any metadata being included in the MOV files for the 7D, certainly nothing that I've been able to find.

Nigel Barker November 21st, 2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Lau (Post 1590513)
I'm not aware of any metadata being included in the MOV files for the 7D, certainly nothing that I've been able to find.

The metadata is written to the .THM file that is associated with each .MOV file. It is a JPEG thumbnail with all the regular EXIF data e.g. shutter speed, aperture etc

Kin Lau November 30th, 2010 01:30 PM

The THM is only good for the initial settings, easily separated from the MOV, and it's not really recognized by most programs I've seen.

Nigel Barker November 30th, 2010 11:33 PM

The Canon FCP plugin is the only program that I know of that actually uses the .THM files.

Craig Campbell December 10th, 2010 10:43 AM

Ok thanks, will look into it, we simply add the desired metadata at ingest if needed, thank you.