Pre-striping Compact Flash Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pre-striping Compact Flash Cards

Hello, not been on the board for a while but I do need to upload the underwater footage our students shot and the projects, will soon!

Anyway, I have a technical question.

I want to start pre striping P2 cards using P2 CMS which I understand and it works fine.

Can you do the same with the Compact flash cards? Would aperture do this?

I basically want the students to be able to add metadata to cards before they shoot.

Thanks

Craig Campbell
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Compact flash is like a hard disk in as far as it allows the computer within the camera to write files to it. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no striping, no time code etc etc.

Your computer will read the files. Any timecode and meta data is in the files, not somehow otherwise on the card.

No striping required! Simply format the card in the camera and start shooting.
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Personally I like formatting any media in the device I am going to use it in rather than relying on any other device to format. Gives me the opportunity to see how the gear which is going to use it likes it.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Compact flash is like a hard disk in as far as it allows the computer within the camera to write files to it. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no striping, no time code etc etc.

Your computer will read the files. Any timecode and meta data is in the files, not somehow otherwise on the card.

No striping required! Simply format the card in the camera and start shooting.
Ah sorry, think you got confused with what I meant.

With the P2 route, I can write metadata using P2CMS that I can then add to my clips before shooting. So when they go to shoot they can load up the specific metadata profile and stamp it to the card. Anything that is then shot will have the extra metadata which may be shooter name, location, producer etc.

I understand how this can be done after someone shoots on a DSLR I just wondered if there was any way to do the same as I do with the P2.

Thanks
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not aware of any metadata being included in the MOV files for the 7D, certainly nothing that I've been able to find.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
I'm not aware of any metadata being included in the MOV files for the 7D, certainly nothing that I've been able to find.
The metadata is written to the .THM file that is associated with each .MOV file. It is a JPEG thumbnail with all the regular EXIF data e.g. shutter speed, aperture etc
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Major Player

The THM is only good for the initial settings, easily separated from the MOV, and it's not really recognized by most programs I've seen.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The Canon FCP plugin is the only program that I know of that actually uses the .THM files.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok thanks, will look into it, we simply add the desired metadata at ingest if needed, thank you.
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD