How to shoot under low lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1
New Boot

How to shoot under low lighting

Hellooo,

I'm trying to get clear pictures indoor during family gatherings or events which most of the time uses yellow lights.

I put my camera on AV mode and set my ISO to auto which usually goes up to 3200. However i'm still not able to get clear shots (as in there is still a blur when movement like swing their hand).

I've search online for tutorials and followed the suggestion but somehow i'm still unable to get nice shots.

pleaseee help and i'll be the happiest person on earth =D

thank you heaps....
Jo Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A fast large aperture lens helps a lot. I throughly enjoy my Canon 28mm 1.8. Not an expensive lens but does the job. Don't forget the "Plastic Fantastic" 50mm 1.8. Cheating is using bounce flash.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #3
New Boot

which means i need to get new lens. =(

just wondering, if i'm just having the kit lens which is the 18-55mm, and have no extra flash(just the build in one) does that mean it'll be quite impossible to get the clear shots?

am currently low on budget to get new lenses n flash for my baby. LOL.
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Tan View Post
Yes, it does.

Quote:
just wondering, if i'm just having the kit lens which is the 18-55mm, and have no extra flash(just the build in one) does that mean it'll be quite impossible to get the clear shots?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
No problem. Shoot during daylight.
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #5
New Boot

Perrone,

LOL. That was helpful..hehe..

but thanks alot anyways.

guess that before i get my new lenses, i'll just have to settle for what my cam can do not. XOXO

:)
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Jo,

Perrone's style is usually very straightforward, and he's damn right on this one.

Get faster lenses! Remember, each ISO increment is one full stop. So if you have 2 more stops, you can be shooting at 400 instead of 1600, and that's a big, big difference.
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Wrangler

I don't really dabble with still photo modes outside of manual (when I'm working) or full automatic (at a party or something where I'm too drunk to futz with exposure math), but if there's a blur issue, isn't it preferable to use shutter priority (Tv) rather than aperture priority (Av), as stated? Then pick a shutter speed that captures the motion properly, such as 1/60th or faster? Obviously it will help to use a faster lens with all of this, but might the Tv mode continue to compromise the shutter speed below what is desirable?
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:

Watch Ebay. You can often get a Nikon 50mm f1.4 non AI for under $80. With a $10 adapter ring from Hong Kong you'll have a great low light lens for under $100.

Truuuuust usssss.... Spend the money now. You'll be so happy you did. It makes an entire world of difference.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Jo Tan, shooting in low light you need to do several things to do several things to get at least a decent picture. First off, the lower the light the more important custom white balance is. Since the rebel doesn't have kelvin white balance that you can dial in on the lcd use the good old take a pic of a sheet of printer paper. No need for anything more extravagant.

Next set you exposure manually, shutter speed 1/50 assuming you're shooting 24p and set the aperature wide open. If you're using a kit lens, this is whats killing you. If 50mm is a reasonable lens, which if you're indoors I can almost guarantee it isn't, then get the $100 50 1.8 canon. Otherwise drop the cash for a 17-55 range 2.8. It's a lot but worth it.

Other than that, maybe look into an on camera lcd light, and ALWAYS use custom white balance in low light. The difference is night and day, no pun intended.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Major Player

My advice is use 1/30th shutter, shoot wide open, use a fixed ISO of 1600 or 3200, and finally, if this is still not enough, get a tungsten balanced LED or Halogen on-camera light. I would try this before I invested in a new lens.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #11
New Boot

Hey guys,

thanks for all your suggestions. i'll try 'em out and in the meantime, save d extra cash to get me new lenses =)
Jo Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD