DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Recommend a tripod? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/488325-recommend-tripod.html)

Jeff Troiano December 1st, 2010 10:27 PM

Recommend a tripod?

Could anyone recommend a good, solid tripod, with fluid head combo, for the 7D?

Perrone Ford December 1st, 2010 11:51 PM

What is your budget?

Jeff Troiano December 2nd, 2010 12:11 AM

I was originally thinking it was going to be somewhere around 1k, but if I can get good performance and a stable support for less, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Someone recommended the Manfrotto 501HDV Pro Video Head, but what legs to put under it? I looked at some of the combos on B&H, with that head, but wasn't sure about the legs support. I'd like to go as cheap as possible, but get the best support. If that means spending 1k, then that's what it means. If spending half or 1/3 that gets me good quality, then I'd be happy to go that route.

Mark Watson December 2nd, 2010 12:17 AM

Yeaaaaahhhh..... ("Office Space" guy)

Hi Jeff,

Here's my recommendations.

My first choice would be the Gitzo Ser.3 6X + Video Kit at B&H for $1631.90. This kit includes the Gitzo 1380 fluid head and the GT3531LSV legs. Total weight is 9.13Lbs. Legs fold up to 26.4 inches and have a max height of 58.7 inches.

Runner up is the Sachtler FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System at B&H for $1,177.00 (a great bargain!). This kit includes the FSB-4 fluid head and the Speed Lock 75 CF Tripod. Total weight is 10.8 Lbs. Legs fold up to 25.6 inches and have a max height of 57.9 inches.

I like the Gitzo legs better than the Sachtler, but the Sachtler legs will get the job done. Gitzo is faster for me to set up and a bit lighter.

With the Gitzo, you have to swap out springs to set up the head for the weight of your camera, whereas the Sachtler is all done with adjustment knobs.

I'm not familiar with the Vinten line, but I've heard they're also a good choice. Maybe someone else can recommend a specific model.

Shot out!

Jon Braeley December 2nd, 2010 07:06 AM

There are other considerations that you may overlook.

I need a super-fast set up as a doc maker, I am put into situations that I have no control over. I also need the lightest weight (don't we all) as I may have to carry it (well my assistant anyway) over mountainous paths for an hour or two.
So think about where you will be shooting and what carefully. I spent one full day just setting tripods up to see how long it takes.
I found Sachtler and a few others took far too long to set up properly. Standing there with your camera while you watch your assistant struggle with set-up and the shot disappearing is not fun.

I chose the Miller Solo legs. Super fast set-up. Very strong and light (carbon fiber). Can go tall and very low.

Les Wilson December 2nd, 2010 11:12 AM

Jeff,
Tripods don't change much. If you haven't already done so, do an Advanced Search on the Tripods and Legs group here on DVInfo using "DSLR". There's 38 results some of which basically as the same question.

I think you'll find the same models discussed over and over. From my research on this, I an important thing to keep in mind that's a little unique to DSLR shooting is balance when a long lens is used. A head with a sliding plate that lets you shift balance will help you. But there are ENG camcorders that are also front heavy so again, not so special with DSLRs. Some heads have a longer slide range than others. You can find that information in the specs along with the weight a head will handle and it's counterbalance specs.

Jon Fairhurst December 3rd, 2010 12:32 AM

I'd take a look at the Vinten Vision Blue. There's a nice review on this site. It's solid and accommodates light camera setups.

Lucky Haskins December 3rd, 2010 09:59 AM

Concur on the Miller Solo (DS 20 Head). Serves me well on both ends of my camera spectrum...7D & Sony EX3. Great sticks.

Bill Pryor December 3rd, 2010 10:25 AM

For light weight, solid and smooth it'd hard to beat Gitzo.

Richard D. George December 3rd, 2010 03:12 PM

One of my tripods uses a Sachtler FSB head with Gitzo CF legs (and a 75mm bowl). A nice combination.

There is a comparison text "brewing" at the Sticks section of this forum.

Phillip Palacios December 3rd, 2010 09:42 PM

Libec

I've been very pleased with my Libec RS350 system. A little more than $1k, but worth it. Variable counter balance is great.

Andrew Maclaurin December 7th, 2010 06:45 AM

i have the manfrotto 701 hdv head. it's a lot lighter than the 501.
i have manfrotto 756xb tripod as it's only 60cm or so when folded up.
it's a very lightweight set up but pretty sturdy.
i need a small set up as i travel by vespa.
total cost 315€

Jon Rose December 7th, 2010 10:58 AM

Tripod

I've got a Manfrotto 525MVB tripod with 519 Head, sturdy and robust but heavy to lug around.
I picked it up for ebay for just under £300 but love it!

Jon Fairhurst December 7th, 2010 01:16 PM

I've got a similar setup, but with the 516 tripod. The problem is that the 516 wants a heavy camera. The spring wants to pull the camera level.

At work, we have the Vinten 3AS, which has a continuously adjustable spring that supports somewhat light cameras. They can also provide a lighter spring, if you run with few accessories. It's absolutely great!

But today, I would get the newer Vinten Blue as it also supports light cams, but at a more attractive price. :)

Greg Fiske December 7th, 2010 04:36 PM

Whats everyone's opinion on the upcoming manfrotto's?
Manfrotto 504HD,546BK - MIDI TWIN SYSTEM(MS)

I went cheap and not really happy with it:
Smith-Victor SMTB990 TB-990 Tripod
Manfrotto 501HDV Pro Video Head