Can anyone explain this blue banding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Can anyone explain this blue banding?

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this blue banding I got yesterday in some of my shots. I've searched a lot and can't find anything specific to what happened. It never happened to me before either. It looks like an aqua watercolor spilled over the footage.

Take a look at these 2 shots for what I'm talking about. 1 was lit daylight with a 1200 par and Kinos. The other all tungsten. I shot with the L series 24-105 and ISO was 320 in both. I was also using typical CP settings like described on Prolost
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/916328/7d_banding.jpg
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Trustee

That is "moire", an interference pattern caused by an interaction between "texture" and lighting/camera angle. Several possible "cures" are changing the lighting angle some, changing the camera angle.

You might use a wider aperture for more shallow depth of field along with a slight camera position/angle change so the "offending surface" is not in the same plane of sharp focus as the subject.

You'll also occasionally see this on brick walls, tiled roofs, and other surfaces with some texture.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bruce. I've gotten moire before but never seen it look like this. Gotta love that codec :)
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

It's not the codec, it's the line skipping the camera uses to downres to 1080.
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Line skipping caused the blue overlayed areas here?
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Canon DSLR's use line skipping as a means to "downres" the image to 1920/1080. As a result of line-skipping the DSLR basically has to guess where lines are. When it can't quite get it right you get the blue banding and moire patterns.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Now I gotcha. I've seen the stair stepping and moire before but I managed to not have to experience the color banding and never realized it was a possibility. Thanks for the help guys!
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD