Magic Lantern for T2i/550D - Feature Set And User Manual - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Newest update, released today is hands down the best one so far! Far less glitchy and my camera hasn't shutdown or had an remove battery errors yet (before I would get that error on first record after power up). New displays show custom iso on, aperture, shutter speed, all on screen. Loving it!!

Update is middle of page posted by Alex Magic Lantern 0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9 - Magic Lantern firmware development | Google Groups
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #32
New Boot

Loving Magic Lantern - audio, histogram, zebras are a big win

I downloaded the lastest version and used it for the first time on a shoot today. Being able to actually see the audio levels the camera is recording is a huge deal. I use a Juiced Link adapter so that I can plug in nice XLR mics. Now that I've installed ML and am able to turn off the camera's audio Auto Gain Control, I was able to put the Juiced Link into a mode where it can just work as a preamp and not have to send a tone signal on the right channel so as to try to disable the camera's internal auto gain. The audio that I recorded using ML today was way better than any audio I have ever recorded using the Juiced Link before.

This, along with being able to see a histogram and zebras while shooting, is a huge deal. I have a T2i and 7D. I used to really prefer to shoot on the 7D, but now that I've got Magic Lantern installed on the T2i I'll be shooting video with it almost exclusively. I wish Canon would issue a firmware update that enables these types of features - but I'm sure not holding my breath.

Big ups to Tramm and the others who have developed Magic Lantern - great job you guys, thank you so much.
Matt Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ml

Hey, I just install ML and so far looks very good...

I have one question thou... don't know how to select iso lower without having to got all the way to the end and start again. Its there a way to do this? If I'm trying to choose proper iso and wants to got back one step...is very slow to go around..for live events and more.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #34
Major Player

This is the first line in the user guide - "GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them, SET/DISP to change values"

Set goes higher, Disp goes lower
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #35
Regular Crew

sorry

sorry... I missed that.

Thanks a lot for your help George.
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I have a question about Magic Lantern. I have not used it and not sure if I want to, because one of the things mentioned in the user manual is that it "can destroy your camera". Also, isn't this just in the testing stages at this point or what? I don't want to add this feature if it's going to create problems and I'm not sure what to do. Can people give advice on it or not? I really would like to have the zebra and historgram features, that's for sure.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #37
Trustee

Russ, I feel exactly the same. To my opinion, it is dangerous to install any software that is not backed by Canon. What happens if something goes wrong? Canon will wash there hands and your guarantee goes out of the window...

Stelios
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Magic Latern

I agree at all, due that is not the official Canon Firmware for me it's a big risk!!!I also would like to have the Audio control, Zebra,and the AGC,but I hope that Canon in the next firmware will give us all.
I also read that if you want you can unistall the Magic Latern due that is on the SD card and not inside the Camera.Is it true?
Sombody know if how its possible?
Gianni
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #39
Tourist

Of course it's risky, bet I'm already using it about one month and had no problems and there's even any bad words in global internet, so seems like, that none of canon cameras was burned. Before ML was not very stable, but now with every new update its working perfect. I don't like only one thing, that every time, when turning on you camera, all your ML settings are restarted and you must to set them again.
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Ml

Thanks Denis,
but, do you confirm that you have not prblem at all and that you have to install the ML on every SD u use otherwise you have not the Firmware, or if I put inside the camera one SD without the ML what happen?
Did you try to record at the max quality is possible without any problem?You never need to switch off and turn off the battery to avoid problem?
Thanks
Gianni
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Pupkevicius View Post
Of course it's risky, bet I'm already using it about one month and had no problems and there's even any bad words in global internet, so seems like, that none of canon cameras was burned. Before ML was not very stable, but now with every new update its working perfect. I don't like only one thing, that every time, when turning on you camera, all your ML settings are restarted and you must to set them again.
Thanks Denis. I guess my next question is, is the rebooting problem and having to pull the battery out due to the camera overheating or something?
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Pupkevicius View Post
I don't like only one thing, that every time, when turning on you camera, all your ML settings are restarted and you must to set them again.
You can save your settings in ML. When you have the camera on and you have set all of the options the way you want them, use the right arrow key to bring up the DEBUG menu. Use the down arrow key to highlight SAVE CONFIG. Press the camera SET button. Next time you start the camera, your saved settings will be selected.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Paolella View Post
Thanks Denis,
but, do you confirm that you have not prblem at all and that you have to install the ML on every SD u use otherwise you have not the Firmware, or if I put inside the camera one SD without the ML what happen?
You have to install a DISKBOOT flag and ML AUTOEXEC.BIN on every SD card you want to use with ML features. Any card just formatted in the camera will not have ML features.

Any card with the DISKBOOT flag installed but no ML AUTOEXEC.BIN file will cause the camera to hang on startup, looking a for bootable file but not finding one. This requires removing the battery, fixing the card and putting the battery and card back in the camera.

This is all in the ML User Guide, which is updated frequently - 550D/UserGuide - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

If you want to know what ML does or how to use it, this is highly recommended reading.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #44
Major Player

i have ML up and running on our T2i's; no problems at all. Zebras, manual audio control, and peak focus assist is wonderful to finally have.

in fact, it is the main reason i am considering selling our XH A1 units.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the input. I do have another question. Is it safe to say that the more of these functions you turn off in the menu, the less likely to damage your camera? The reason is, I don't need the audio functions, because I would never run directly into the camera anyhow. The only functions I would need would be the Zebra, Histogram, and Focus Assist features.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD