T2i vs 60d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

T2i vs 60d

I'm sure someone has posted about this before, but it is impossible to search for things that are in the names of forum sections.

Anyway, I'm researching DSLRs, and I was wondering what would cause someone to buy a 60d over a T2i? The flip-out screen of the 60d is obviously huge, but (I think) they have the same size sensors, almost all of the same video features, same lenses available etc.

I have seen amazing footage from both, so I am asking you 60d and T2i guys out there, what are the features (and price is always a feature!) that makes one win out over the other in your mind?

Won't be using these much for photography, btw, so those differences in stills are less important to me.

Also, info on any non-Canon contenders that can go toe-to-toe with the 60d/T2i for video is greatly appreciated!
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The 60D has several advantages, to me, the flip-out screen is not one of them.
Because it's on a flimsy hinge you can't use a finder like the the Z-Finder (or others) as a third point of contact.

The larger body is nice though.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Jackson! I just upgraded my T2i to the 60D, and here's my reasoning:

-I do like the flip out LCD, it's great for weird angles, and even better for protecting the screen!
-I do use the zacuto Z-finder, and the z-finder comes with a base plate mount, so it works just fine on the screen
-I LOVE the wireless flash control, but that's more of a photography thing
-more ISO settings, great for bumping up just a little bit o' gain, the T2i has very few choices in that area
-I also really needed the manual audio gain, but it looks like that might be available with the Magic Lantern fix! (which I chipped in for ;)
-lastly, the battery is much bigger, and lasts significantly longer...

I'm really happy with the camera, and I got a much better "stock" lens with the 60D, and it really rounds out my lens collection nicely. But if cost is an issue, the T2i really can get you the same quality video.

I also sold the T2i to my cousin that I am shooting with, so it worked out well for both of us, we can go shoot together and know that the footage will work together.

Feel free to ask any other questions about it!

edit: and yeah, the bigger body is really nice, just feels better in your hands!
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...d-over-7d.html
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

As you mentionned you are also considering non-Canon cameras, this article may interest you:

UPDATED: Which… “Video DSLR” to buy? | Philip Bloom
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Trustee

I think one of the biggest reasons to get the 60D over the T2i is the manual gain control. It makes on-board sound a real possibility for many situations.

Regarding other brands, the Panasonic GH2 looks poised to challenge Canon for the lead in the HDSLR race. But I'll just say to check out the section for that camera and leave it at that, for fear of turning this into another Panasonic vs Canon battle thread.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rogers View Post
The 60D has several advantages, to me, the flip-out screen is not one of them.
Because it's on a flimsy hinge you can't use a finder like the the Z-Finder (or others) as a third point of contact.

Why not?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...p-img_9980.jpg

The hinge is not "flimsy" - it must be able to be turned and move easily. One can certainly hold it and make it a third point of contact. And when using a wide lens, one needs no loupe and the articulating screen becomes essential for getting the best height, angle, and perspective.

Perhaps you just need to open up to a way of shooting that is slightly different from what you are used to.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have both 60d and T2i.

There are several reason to choose 60d over T2i, one of which is the kelvin white balance. I believe it is a huge improvement over the T2i because I can set the white balance correctly during shoot rather than editing in post.

Another things are the additional manual screen, bigger but lighter so easier to handle, and lastly, doesn't look as cheesy as the T2i.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Another reason to get the 60D. I do a lot of time lapse and the 60D runs circles around the T2i. 60D has three RAW modes which are great for time lapses; sometimes you just don't need 18MP RAW images.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Ian,
I've got a 50D that I use for time lapse with a TC 80N3, do you know, does this remote work on the 60D? If not, then what do you use?

Am looking to have to have a single do all camera for hiking.
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Yip View Post
... doesn't look as cheesy as the T2i.

???????????
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
???????????
I would have to agree. After using and holding the 60D, the T2i indeed feels like a toy -- plastic, smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

I love the 60D for:

- the LCD screen -- great for low and high angle shots
- ISO range -- apparently it's better to use "native" ISO's, which are in multiples of 160

There are a few other small things but those are most important to me, and worth the extra $300 or so difference in price. It's a very small difference when you compare the two options we had several months ago, which was T2i vs. 7D (which was like a $800 difference).

On the other hand, since the quality of video is pretty much the same, you can also choose to spend the $300 difference on things that make the video quality very good...lenses and lighting. Without good lenses or lighting (if needed) then you may not be happy with your footage results.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

just reading through some of the reasons people are posting. Several big deal breakers have vanished with magic lantern. AGC is a thing of the past. Time lapse you want? magic lantern has a built in intervalometer which works great. Amazing iso adjust-ability, fine tuning 100,110,115,125,140,160,170,185,200,220,235,250,280,320 and iso up to 25,600, bit rate control, zebras, histogram, AE bracketing, AND kelvin white balance in video mode!!!
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Luke,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Gates View Post
just reading through some of the reasons people are posting. Several big deal breakers have vanished with magic lantern. AGC is a thing of the past. Time lapse you want? magic lantern has a built in intervalometer which works great. Amazing iso adjust-ability, fine tuning 100,110,115,125,140,160,170,185,200,220,235,250,280,320 and iso up to 25,600, bit rate control, zebras, histogram, AE bracketing, AND kelvin white balance in video mode!!!
Just stopped in to say the same thing. I had a chance to work with a 1D Mark IV yesterday and truthfully see no difference in the way the T2i 'feels' other than its more compact. It definitely does not feel like a toy or cheap. It feels much more solid than any camcorder I've ever used and equally as sturdy as the 1D.
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #15
New Boot

Yes, but...

THE tiny detail here is that Magic Lantern now also works with the 60D!
Don't underestimate the size-heft-feel thing because one of the major considerations you should have when starting with a DSLR camera system is your budget ability to cover a fast zoom lens at the same time and you have to really look hard to find something that gives more bang for the buck than a 17-55 f/2.8. Pick your brand, Canon, Sigma or Tamron all have nice and very similar choices in this focal lengths but all have this in common: they're HEAVY! Just try and attach a 1.5 lb lens to a 0.75 lb body, swing it around and see how many times the exact words "toy" and "toy-like" comes to your mind. And that's not considering what I believe is the #2 most usable lens for this cameras, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS zoom.
Hector Landaeta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD