What Do You Think of this gear with the 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Do You Think of this gear with the 7D?

Hey guys, I know these questions have literally been answered inside and out, but I was wondering what yall thought of my plans for equipment with the 7D. I have filmed on a JVC HM100U and Nikon D5000. Aside from the dirt cheap inefficient Nikon, this is really my first DSLR adventure....SO with that in mind, do you guys think this is good and efficient gear to start with the 7D. I feel like i cover the extremes with all three lenses and am insanely indecisive over what rig to get. Yes I know Zacuto and Redrock products may be overpriced but I really do not mind paying for the quality. Since I do not have much experience editing, syncing with audio is going to be difficult for me since at the moment I only have Adobe Premiere Elements 9(I am scared to delve into Final Cut Pro...it seems so difficult!!haha).
Anyways, lemme know what you guys think of this setup I am planning to get.

1. 7D body

2. Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 100mm Macro, Tokina 11-16mm

3. Rode Stereo Mic

4.Manfrotto 504HD

5. Zacuto Striker OR Redrock Micro EyeSpy

6. Zacuto Z-Finder

Last edited by Daniel Dayani; December 23rd, 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: problem
Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Before you spend a lot on "rig" and find yourself doing more "fiddling and adjusting" than filming, give the under $100 (shipped to my door) SpiderBrace 2 "combo" some consideration.

Click here>home

Not much invested and you'll have something you can use to define how far you really want to "rig" it. This configuration is 3 handles (you can take the middle one off and use two but I find it handy when one hand is on the focus ring, balance is much better), and I added a Manfrotto quick release adapter compatible with my 501 head so I go between SpiderBrace and tripod in seconds.

The Rode SVM is an outstanding mic...But...The 7D has AGC so even using an external mic you have no audio level control. I'd get that mic but also something like the ZoomH2 or H4n. You can use the mic with the Zoom unit, sync is no problem if your software will display the waveforms from both camera audio and external audio file.

Lenses: Depending on what kind of work you're going to be doing you might want to supplement that Tokina with something that picks up at about 16 or 18mm and goes into at least moderate tele range. Instead of the 50mm f1.4 I chose the EF 28mm f1.8 (perspective is very close to what we used to get with 50mm "normal" lens on film SLRs) and for general purpose low light it cannot be beat. For awhile I "made do" with the EF 24mm f2.8 for a perspective similar to what we got with 35mm wide angle in the film days. And I had the original metal barrel EF 50mm f1.8 left over from film EOS cams I used to have otherwise the $99.95 current version would be a "no brainer".

I use the Hoodman "Cinema Pro Kit" ($209) over the Zacuto for the reason I don't have to "stick" a frame on the camera to accept the loupe. The Hoodman looks "klunky" but is actually a very easy to work with solution, it can be transferred from camera to camera with very little complication. Adjusting fit from 7D to T2i usually takes me less than 20-30 seconds. Comes with 3x eyepiece and the loupe has diopter adjust.

What you've tentatively selected looks well thought out, I just gave you my thoughts.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Unless you actually have an assignment or a deadline for a shoot I would not buy much of anything, considering you have no experience with DSLR's.

Also what are you shooting? This determines your needs. For example decent audio recording is much more important than a shoulder rig. You need off camera recording with a 7D. I use the Tascam DR-100 with two decent mics (total cost here is approx $1500 for my 2 mics). I also use the Rode Videomic on camera as a backup and for syncing in post. This comes before a 2nd lens - rigs or anything else!

If you are shooting docs or events one wide to mid range zoom lens is all you need at the beginning ... the 17-55 2.8 can easily be your workhorse. Mine is on the camera 75% of the time. I have the Tokina lens also but this is not an everyday lens and not an urgent 'must have'.

So get the audio and one good lens sorted out along with the Hoodman or Z-Finder then hand hold the camera for a while until you know it well. Use a cheap tripod first then you need $1,000 for a decent tripod set up (I use 2 or 3 depending on my location). Take it slow until you can shoot well - and know the camera inside out.

A good DP uses the min set up if possible - only the 7D and one lens ... nothing else. For example on the new movie Black Swan, a 7D was used for a scene on a subway - the 7D and a 24mm lens was used. No Z-finder. No rig. Nothing!!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree that you should know what you need and why you need it. I started with the 7D and a Canon 50mm f1.4 and a memory card, I only added stuff as I needed it.
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I think if you plan to shoot video outdoors, a hood/loop of some sort is must have. The VF doesn't work and the LCD will wash out unless it's shaded. You can make something temporary out of cardboard if you have to or spend a fortune on Zacuto, but you need something.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The number one most important thing to do before you buy any gear is figure out what you will be shooting. As an example, I purchased my 7D back in April for a specific purpose: filming interviews for a documentary. All the gear that I have purchased to date (fluid head tripod, LED light panels, audio recorder, lens, etc) has been selected with this specific task in mind.

I do have to agree with others in the thread who have stressed the importance of audio gear (recorder, mic, boom, etc) - this really is crucial. Also, a single high quality zoom lens (I personally recommend the Canon L series due to the high optical quality and build quality) is really all you need to get started. The thing to remember when buying lenses for video is that you will be going all-manual, so the feel and accuracy of the lens focus ring is really important. Another piece of gear that is more-or-less universally important is a tripod - with a solid/smooth fluid head.

So, sit down and figure out what you plan on filming. Then, head down to the camera store and try out various pieces of gear. You'll end up seeing for yourself which items are crucial and which can wait until later.

Good luck, and have fun!
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

definitely

hey guys thank you for your input!! Yeah i guess I was just going off what people kept saying are 'must have' items with the 7D. I will be purchasing the camera soon so i really appreciate the advice, and more is welcome :).... Thanks!!!
Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD