Sigma 30mm f1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sigma 30mm f1.4

hey guys,

anyone using the sigma 30mm f1.4 for video? i checked one in the store and the manual focus ring felt a bit "cludgy". wondering what your experience has been...

i know sigma has some issues with af alignment on canon bodies but this would be used for video so manul focus only.

thanks!

karl
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Lot's of threads/posts on this.

Here's one to get you going:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...0mm-1-4-a.html

And another:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...0mm-1-4-a.html

Hope that helps.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hi andy,

not looking for a specific comparison between the sigma 30 and the canon 28 (that's been played to death everywhere). my post was asking about how well the manual focus worked for people shooting vids.

specificially, the manual focus feels a bit rough - are people that are using it for video having trouble pulling focus or is it something that's working well for everyone?

k
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Karl,

The Sigma 30 1.4 is on my camera all the time. I actually like the stiffness of the focus ring, It's very precise and intuitive. The 30 was on my camera almost exclusively during a 4 day film shoot for a commercial I shot.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Great low light lens. The only thing the lens misses is VR/IS. Tough to shoot handheld wide open. Great look though.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Major Player

yeah you are right, it is a little stiff, I would rather a much smoother focus ring like some other lens but I can still focus pull with it, you need a stable rig so that when you pull focus it won't move the camera, despite that short coming, it is still my go to lens for low light work.
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Affordable and reasonably sharp wide open. Focus gets a bit iffy at F1.4 so the stiffer focus ring (mine has it too) works out - I don't especially like the really loose ones like on some Tamrons. I usually stop down to 1.8 so the depth doesn't get too obnoxious. Hard to beat as a 50mm equivalent. No alignment issues, and focuses reliably but not as fast as an L series.
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great thread/inputs, as I myself am about to purchase this lens.
Could someone very quickly look over look over these two links and tell me if there is any difference, besides the price? I usually purchase from BH but with a lower price and a hood thrown in, I might go with Adorama.

BH
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381615-REG/Sigma_300101_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html
Adorama
300101G Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM AutoFocus Standard Lens for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras - Gray Market
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Major Player

They both have a hood but go with Adorama for sure, they are just as reputable as B&H, $39.00 can to for your protective filter, I bought tons of stuff from both company.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
They both have a hood but go with Adorama for sure, they are just as reputable as B&H, $39.00 can to for your protective filter, I bought tons of stuff from both company.
Thanks - will do.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Tourist

Hey Karl, this is a quote from 'the-digital-picture.com" in review of the lens...

"The manual focusing ring is smooth but somewhat stiff. The stiffness is not all bad as your hand will likely be holding the lens by/near this ring - If it turned too easily, you might produce OOF (out of focus) shots. AI Servo performance including accuracy is good. "
Robert Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

thanks guys... great input. i've tried a couple with different feeling focus mechanisms. i guess i'll just try the specific lens i'm buying before taking it. that way i can make sure it's good!
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kopec View Post
Great thread/inputs, as I myself am about to purchase this lens.
Could someone very quickly look over look over these two links and tell me if there is any difference, besides the price? I usually purchase from BH but with a lower price and a hood thrown in, I might go with Adorama.

BH
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens for Can 300101 B&H

Adorama
300101G Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM AutoFocus Standard Lens for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras - Gray Market
If you're in NJ, Adorama will charge you Sales Tax.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:18 PM   #14
Trustee

Just wanted to say I've been shooting a wedding this evening with the 30mm on the camera 90% of the time and still is. No way I could have done it tonight without it.
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Major Player

for very low light weddings (ie candle light) i use the sigma 30mm 1.4 on my 550d, and my samyang 85mm 1.4 on my 7d
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD