MANFROTTO 501 or 504?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 25th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MANFROTTO 501 or 504?!

I am going between the Manfrotto 501HDV and the 504HD. I have a Canon EOS 7D. The only reason I would not get the 504HD is because it is $300 more than the 501! Fluid heads, great movement, I know! but what are the plusses and minuses to both?? Anyone have the setup between these two?

Here is the Manfrotto 504HD Head w/546B 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod System:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683563-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html
and Here is the Manfrotto 501 HDV
Manfrotto 501HDV028B 028B Tripod System (Black) 501HDV,028B B&H

Thanks!
Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Daniel,
Pretty much a world of difference between the 501 and 504. I have used both. It guess it comes down to what you can afford. For the 504 price you might also want to consider http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735035-REG/Manfrotto_Manfrotto_504HD_Video_Fluid.html at $754 if you do alot of outdoor work. You can really get close to the ground with it for more creative shots. Also, the benefits of carbon fiber legs.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have a 501 head but I have just ordered a 504. The 501 is very good for the price but I have just ordered http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683635-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546GBK_504HD_Head_w_546GB_2_Stage.html The 504 head is much, much better than the 501 in terms of adjustment, control & feel. I personally like the spreader at ground level for our uses (mainly interiors). The 504 combo is much quicker to set up & level. It's also heavier to carry but has more mass so is less prone to moving.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Trustee

they are both junk. the "fluid" in the head it nothing more then thick grease between a couple of plastic rings inside. you get what you pay for.... satchler has a couple of combos around the FSb4 & 6 that might be vastly better, and not much more $
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I bought a Libec and it's really good. Smooth operation etc. Met another video guy in the field and his head (same one you are looking at) was jerky. Just make sure you match the load weight correctly and you will be happy.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Trustee

+1 to Doug – Loading the head evenly and applying the correct tension to tilt and pan are critical.

I've been using the 501HDV for about 4 years now - I have 3. And yes, you do get what you pay for - a very usable head for lighter cameras at an affordable price. I've been very happy with my results. As a lighter-weight field tripod and head, the Manfrotto does a good job - though if you're doing lots of controlled studio/stage work at the long end of the lens, I would say upgrade to something a bit more robust, i.e. Sachtler, Vinten, Miller...
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
they are both junk. the "fluid" in the head it nothing more then thick grease between a couple of plastic rings inside. you get what you pay for.... satchler has a couple of combos around the FSb4 & 6 that might be vastly better, and not much more $
They are both more than adequate, and deffo not junk. We are talking about mounting a 7D on a tripod, not a 6kg broadcast camera. I use a 503 with my EX1 and an old Velbon 700d with my DSLR, both get the job done, very well. But then again if you like spending money, for no apparent reason!!!!!!!!!
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Search the forums - many people find neither the 501 nor the 503 series to be suitable for smooth pans and tilts with HD. I have a 503 with CF legs gathering dust (well the case is gathering dust).

The 504 MAY be different. I await Chris Soucy's head-to-head comparison.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I own both the 501 and 504 and they are not even comparable. The 504HD is in another class of smooth.
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Trustee

Buy the cheap one, and for sure down the road you'll get tired of cursing it, and you'll get a good one. So you'll get to pay twice.

Might as well just get a good one up front.
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Buy the cheap one, and for sure down the road you'll get tired of cursing it, and you'll get a good one. So you'll get to pay twice.

Might as well just get a good one up front.
No argument with that but there seems some dispute as to whether the Manfrotto 504 is "junk". My brief use of one at a trade show & various reviews that I have read lead me to believe that it is in a totally different class to the 501HDV (which is OK for the price with a lightweight camera). Whether the "junk" tag is derived from experience with the 504 or whether it's just a prejudice against Manfrotto versus Libec, Sachtler etc I don't know.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nothing to compare.
The 504HD is truly great for the money and can easily be considered as a pro head.

Thanks.

Johnnie
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Re: MANFROTTO 501 or 504?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bailey View Post
I bought a Libec and it's really good. Smooth operation etc. Met another video guy in the field and his head (same one you are looking at) was jerky. Just make sure you match the load weight correctly and you will be happy.
Regards,
Doug.
Witch libec?
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Re: MANFROTTO 501 or 504?!

I've been using 501 heads for years and recently bought two 504HD heads and the 504 is the best head I've ever used in it's price range. Personally I couldn't go back to the 501, with the 504 I am able to pull off smooth vertical pans I could never do with the 501.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD