DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Looking for advice: Wide lens or steadicam first? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/489777-looking-advice-wide-lens-steadicam-first.html)

Larry Chen January 5th, 2011 02:45 PM

Looking for advice: Wide lens or steadicam first?

So I've had my 7D for about a year now, and I shoot Martial Arts reels and short films. So far, the only lenses I have are the Sigma 30mm and the Canon 50mm 1.8, so I've been really feeling the need for a wide lens. At the same time, I don't have anything to provide smooth camera movements, I only have a shoulder mount, so I'm in great debate.

I'm a student, so I can't really afford both at the same time, and it seems both cost around the same price. I'm looking at the Tokina 11-16mm for a wide lens, and the Glidecam 2000 HD for the steadicam, but I just don't know which would be more appropriate right now.

Eventually I'm going to need to pick up both, I'm just having a hard time deciding which I will find more useful. Either choice seems very beneficial towards my work and I know it's kind of an odd question, but someone with more experience can chime in?

Ken Diewert January 5th, 2011 03:22 PM

Larry,

I think if you can only buy one first - it will have to be the 11-16mm lens. I say that because the Glidecam with the 7d/30mm combo translates to about 48mm, which is really pushing it for flying. Maybe some have done it, and will chime in. I generally won't go over 40mm. I've used my 50mm f1.4, on the GC with generally not great results.

Larry Chen January 5th, 2011 04:30 PM

Thanks Ken! I was actually considering that as a problem..I have found some pretty decent shots with some telephotos with the glidecam pro though I'm not entirely sure if it is 60 FPS and slowed down:

Of course ideal results were shot on wider lenses, like you mentioned:

Well, I still can't decide, if only I could win the lotto xD.. any more input would be lovely. Also if anyone has any input on HD vs Pro versions of the glidecam that would be aweome too =D

Andy Wilkinson January 5th, 2011 04:36 PM

Get the wide lens first. Steadicam later. I have both (in my case a Canon wide and a Merlin) and that is the order I did it in and have no regrets. Hope this helps.

Ken Diewert January 5th, 2011 09:10 PM

Larry,

The clips that you posted are very cool. The first one with the husky is shot very tight (relatively speaking). He says it was the 24-70 f2.8 and as he says it was either shot at 24 or 70. I'd say most of it was probably the equivalent of about 70mm or around 45-50mm or the barrel (x1.6). The work is very good, though stylized, and the longest shot is about 6 seconds with most of them being 3-4 seconds while he circles or passes the subject.

What you should do is rent a Glidecam for a day and try it with your 30mm. It should only cost $20.00 to rent for a day, or maybe post it here in the 'helping hands' if you can't find one. I'd lend you mine to try if you were closer.You can also keep an eye out for used ones. I bought mine on a forum (maybe this one) barely used for nearly half price.

The trick to glidecam work is getting the thing balanced properly. I'm no expert but practice really helps.

Larry Chen January 6th, 2011 12:06 AM

Yeah, I was actually trying to plan a DIY track dolly when I came upon those videos, and immediately changed my to-gets from a dolly to a nice steadicam.

Where would you go about looking for used ones? If I could save even $25 on a used model, I wouldn't mind so long as it's in original condition. And I actually visit BC and Coquitlam every so often, so Vancouver isn't too far =D But I won't ask to hog your gear haha.. I will just be patient.

It's really a shame there aren't decent wides similarly priced as the Canon 50mm 1.8 :\
I've also considered selling my Sigma 30mm, and just geting a Tokina 11-16mm to replace.. do I really need a 30mm? I really love the DoF on the 50mm and almost prefer to use it when I have enough space. I find a lot of situations in small spaces, that both my 50mm and 30mm can't take the shot correctly, so I wonder if, for now, a wide would be more important than the 30, then I could afford a steadicam as well. It's just hard for me the part ways with the f1.4 on the 30mm T_T has me spoiled.

Bah, maybe I should have just gotten 1 gigantor zoom lens to cover all focal lengths haha.

Markus Nord January 6th, 2011 02:56 PM

Why not the Samyang 14/2.8?
In Sweden the price on the Samyang is just a 3th of the Tokina. I love it, really good for video with a good focus ring.