DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Short mountain bike promo vid shot on T2i (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/490188-short-mountain-bike-promo-vid-shot-t2i.html)

Michael Herrick January 14th, 2011 11:39 PM

Short mountain bike promo vid shot on T2i

hey guys, I know your supposed to post your footage in the other section, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of user traffic and i wanted some feedback on what you guys think. I have had the T2i for about 5 months but I haven't filmed much on it and I'm still learning a lot. In this vid I'm using the kit lens and the 50mm 1.8. Let me know what you think of the footage and the editing overall, i'd really appreciate it! I still cant seem to get that dslr look, it looks like footage from a regular camcorder, I have been shooting usually at 2.8f to try and get a shallow depth of field but it still doesn't have that dslr feel, I dont know what else to do. It also doesn't look super sharp like most dslr work, I don't if it's the glass I'm using or what, I thought the nifty fifty was supposed to be pretty sharp. Anyways tell me what you think and any pointers on how to get more of that dslr look or just some kind of tip overall would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stelios Christofides January 17th, 2011 02:13 AM

Michael
I don't know but I find your video clip excellent! As you know getting a DSLR to focus perfect is not that easy and your shots are quite focus to me. Your editing is very well done. I also got myself a 550D to use for video and I must tell you i am still struggling to get shot like you have here.

Stelios

Michael Herrick January 17th, 2011 10:10 PM

hey, thanks a lot man!

Simon Denny January 18th, 2011 01:05 PM

Hey Michael, I liked that. Was that a Gopro shot in there? I'm not a DSLR user as such but do at times shoot with the 5D and the T2i looks good. How did you achieve the slow mo?

Cheers

Burk Webb January 18th, 2011 01:15 PM

Looked pretty good to me. Nice shots, edit and really dig the song. Also like all your overcrank stuff.

I agree that your just not hitting that "shallow DSLR" look in some cases. It seems that most shots have a similar framing, rider is coming/going filling the frame. Also it seems like a lot of shots are tilting up to the rider as he comes into frame.

I would try and spice it up with some tight shots of the dirt, hands, helmet - really tight detail stuff shot wide open, as shallow as you can get. I also want to see the cyclists face. He seems so anonymous.

As to the sharpness thing. If your shooting a lot at 720 your going to look less sharp then at 1080. Of course the 720 60p is much better for slow mo stuff but your going to take a sharpness hit.

Just my quick .02

Michael Herrick January 18th, 2011 06:57 PM

haha ya we used a contour helmet cam tapped to the frame, for the slo mo, i just put the camera in 720 60p mode and then slowed it down to .4 on a 24 fps timeline.

Ya I'll try to get some tighter shots next time. I tried for some and i couldn't get them to look real good, idk why but thanks for your input!