DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What kind of mics are you guys using with your t2i? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/490373-what-kind-mics-you-guys-using-your-t2i.html)

Anas El-Biad January 19th, 2011 09:37 AM

What kind of mics are you guys using with your t2i?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an inexpensive microphone to go along with my t2i. The type of shooting I'll be doing is mainly narrative stuff (short movies with dialogues etc). I don't have a big budget so for now I'm considering a Rode videomic or a Zoom H2. They seem to get positive reviews. What do you guys think? Any other good mics in that price range? Like I said I'll be shooting narratives, no events.

Thanks!

ps: Sorry if it's not the right place to discuss this.

Jon Fairhurst January 19th, 2011 10:19 AM

For narrative, you want a shotgun or hypercardioid mic on a boompole and an XLR connection. That requires a juicedLink preamp or recorder with XLR inputs, such as a juicedLink preamp or H4n / DR-100 recorder.

For a camera mounted mic, the new Rode VideoMic Pro looks like the new, hot thing. But you don't really want a camera mounted mic for narrative audio. Camera mounted mics are best for events and on-the-street documentaries.

You can also go for lavs on each actor, but that requires expensive wireless links or XLR cables that would limit mobility.

Jackson Hager January 19th, 2011 11:00 AM

H4n and Azden SGM-1X. Or just the H4n if the room/location is really, really, really quiet (for a 90-degree arc, it sure picks up everything!)

For doc-style interviews, I just hide the mic setup right out of frame or behind a desk or laptop or something. I don't usually run-and-gun, so I can't say what would be good in that situation.

I like the H4n better than juciedlink or beachtec because you can set it up to record right into the camera or have a separate, mobile audio setup you can sync up later without buying anything extra.

Anas El-Biad January 19th, 2011 11:03 AM

Thanks guys!

Jon, can you think of a good inexpensive shotgun mic that does the job? And what about pluging the mic directly to the camera? Will it give good results? Or is an external recorder like the H4n a must?

Jon Fairhurst January 19th, 2011 11:31 AM

The Azden that Jackson recommends is quite affordable. That said, I much prefer the Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2 for a bit more money. The Rode has more dynamic range, sounds less brittle, and gives a fuller sound.

Of course, placement is key. I'd rather use the Azden close to the talent and properly placed than a $1,500 mic from across the room. :)

Anas El-Biad January 19th, 2011 11:49 AM

Yeah the Azden seems like a good choice for the price and it has good reviews. I'll check out the other mics that you mentionned.

As I asked in my previous post, what about pluging the mic directly to the camera?

Jon Fairhurst January 19th, 2011 12:26 PM

The Rode VideoMic Pro will plug right into the camera. That said it has a short unbalanced 1/4" connector. While you could run it through an extension cable, I wouldn't recommend it. Being unbalanced, it's more likely to pick up interference. It's a possible budget solution though.

To plug a balanced XLR mic into the camera, you need some sort of adapter or preamp. Check out my video series here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html

Enjoy!

Bruce Foreman January 19th, 2011 05:08 PM

I use the ZoomH2 and ZoomH1 with built in mics a lot. usually get it in 4-5 feet from talent, it's mounted on a stand and placed in close just out of the camera frame. I'll also have a Rode SVM plugged into the camera to get a good clean reference track for sync that in an emergency could also be used in the project of something goes wrong with the Zoom recording ( sound guy forgets whether it's recording or on standby).

I've found if I get the unit in close enough the fact that I'm recording stereo doesn't detract.

Anas El-Biad January 19th, 2011 09:30 PM

Thanks, you guys are really helpful. Nice reviews Jon!

Man, all this equipment can be so expensive, even if you buy the cheapest stuff. I guess I'll have to buy one thing at a time.

Keith Forman January 20th, 2011 08:36 AM

You'll really need an investment in several mics and then practice using them a lot. I'd suggest as a starter, a wireless lav with a mic plug in transmitter. A shotgun mic that also uses a battery for phantom. You can use that with the wireless transmitter. A decent hand held (again for the mic plug in transmitter). If you are recording music, two large diaphragm mics (matching) and a Zoom recorder. One good mic stand, will also help. I'd say this is the absolute minimum you will need if you are taking money from people for your video work.

Magic Lantern helps a lot with the audio but know when to use a real video camera with pro audio when needed.

Anas El-Biad January 20th, 2011 08:17 PM

Thanks Keith, but I'm afraid I can't afford several mics lol. That's the reason why I'm looking for a cheap shotgun mic. But I'm not selling services though. It's just filmmaking for fun and for the love of making films, nobody's paying me.

Keith Forman January 20th, 2011 08:56 PM

Given the choice of just one mic go with a wireless and magic lantern.

check this: out

Anas El-Biad January 20th, 2011 09:40 PM

Thanks Keith! This mic is really not expensive. Do you think it would do the job even for narratives? It seems unconventional to use lavalier mics for short movies, but who cares if the audio quality is good?

Edit: If the answer's yes, can you plug more than one of these mics into the camera using some kind of adaptor?

Keith Forman January 20th, 2011 10:09 PM

I have not tried it yet but I think you can use a Y adapter -- Mono/mono to stereo and get two channels into the T2i/60D. You'll have two discreet channels and you can mix while editing. You can also buy an inexpensive wired lav mic for about $25.

Anas El-Biad January 21st, 2011 12:56 PM

Yeah the one in the video is wired I think. But my question is can you plug more than one of these mics (wired) into the camera? If you're shooting a short movie you'll have more than one talent in front of the camera. So can you have like 2 ou 3 actors in front of the camera each using a wired (or non wired) lav mic? I guess there are some kind of adaptors that lets you plug more than one mic on the cam.