Should I sell my Nx5u and get another 7d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I sell my Nx5u and get another 7d

Hi,
I do wedding videography, small corporate events, and soon to do some commercials. I am currently using the 7d and an Nx5u interchangeably. I have had the Nx5u for about 10 months, and the 7d for about 1 or 2. I certainly like the image quality and DOF better on the 7d, but the versatility of the Nx5u is much better. Should I sell my Nx5u and buy a second 7d??

Things to consider.....

Pro's (to selling nx5u and buying second 7d):
-Seamless integration of footage of both cameras
-can use same lenses, batteries, and accessories
-Slightly cheaper considering I have many lenses, batteries, and accessories already
-can use 2 f1.4 lenses so great low light @1250 iso on both cameras
-I also do some pro photography, having a second 7d will be nice.
-

Con's (to selling nx5u and buying second 7d):
-Harder learning curve for an assistant (if needed)
-will be somewhat limited by the 12 minute recording time
-Using a rig can be difficult and bulky in certain situations where an Nx5u would certainly be better.
-IF both 7d's overheat during a ceremony at once..... I'm Screwed!!!
-Have to buy another Rig ($600 down the drain)
-May have to double up on some lenses
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Trustee

What do you currently do for audio? Record into the XLR's or use a seperate mixer/recorder?

How do you currently shoot weddings/events? Alone or with a crew? Full coverage or highlights only?

Personally I would not ditch the NX5. A proper camcorder just makes things so much simpler. No running around to keep hitting record on your stationary camera every 12 minutes, no dual system audio, no complicated rig's to put together/pack up, easier to focus (not just because of autofocus but because of more focus assist functions, proper EVF, etc), ability to zoom during a shot, etc etc.

The thing with DSLR's is that you need to actually be operating them for them to be any use. You can't just let them sit there and record continuously with autofocus/autoexposure. If you're shooting an event outside with a DSLR and a cloud passes over? Or even if you're indoors and they dim the lights. You've got to go and adjust exposure on the unmanned camera - that means leaving your primary camera unnatended for a short while - so for a few moments one camera could be horribly over/underexposed and the other is unnatended, and a few moments is all it takes to miss something critical at a wedding.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

currently I do own a Zoom H4n, but mainly use the nx5u for audio recording xlr sources. Also, I never go alone, I always have an assistant at the very least. The problem is that the few assistants I work with aren't as good with manual settings, though it really isnt that hard to learn.

I just really want to make a decision with in the next few weeks because I really don't want the Nx5u to drop in price, AND the 7d just dropped $115 on the 17th
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm in a similar situation, thinking of selling my z5 to get another canon DSLR (already have a 7d and a 550d, most of the time the z5 is left up the back of the church unattended on a wide)

I've already started using a zoom for audio, so if I sell the Z5, i could get another nody and another lens or 2.

decisions decisions.

The 12 minutre thing is no where near as big a deal as I thought it would be,

The audio is slightly a bigger pain than I thought it would be (cant leave the zoom on auto, cos if it peaks it brings all the levels down - or something like that)

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The other thing to consider, do customers expect to see a large type pro camcorder at their wedding and does that give them confidence in your service?

The 7D does give great shallow depth of field shots but they can be over done.

If you kept the Sony, could you afford a Canon T2i as another back up camera instead?
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Nick - the fact that you 'never go alone' means the DSLR route is a feasible proposition. I'm a lone wedding filmmaker and for me the NX5 just has to be the camera of choice. Everything's in one package and it'll run all day if needs be. Huge zoom, decent sync'd audio, a real run'n' gun shooter's delight. And weddings are just that, run 'n' gun events. If you're not running you're missing shots, shots that you've been tasked to capture.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD