DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moire. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/492491-new-t3i-will-digital-zoom-allow-normal-shooting-without-aliasing-moire.html)

Steve Bleasdale March 6th, 2011 03:23 AM

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 1625044)
Thanks for the test Lawrence!

What do you think the flickering is at the bottom?

The flickering usually happens when you have filmed it from another source??? computor or?

Ryan Farnes March 6th, 2011 04:35 PM

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

Alright, I was able to do some tests with the T3i in daylight with my 100-400mm and my 18-135mm. Everything was ISO 100 except for the last scene of the pine tree.

One shot particularly seems to demonstrate the mitigation of aliasing and moire with the 3x zoom turned on. However, noise levels appear to be slightly increased, or at least appear so.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with the performance of this zoom feature when left at the 3x setting. The shots appear nearly indistinguishable from normal shots. I'm not a legit pixel peeper, but upon first pass, I feel like I now have a 3x teleconverter with no light loss.

YouTube - T3i - Zoom Test Comparisons

Ryan Farnes March 6th, 2011 04:50 PM

I just uploaded to Vimeo. Will display in standard definition, but you should be able to download the 1080p original file.

Ryan Farnes March 6th, 2011 05:54 PM

The more I look at the samples, the more I think I would admit that the 3x zoom feature is noticeably softer. However, it is still a viable image. It simply doesn't appear to resolve as much detail as normal. These tests are pretty unscientific though.

Still, download the video from Vimeo and see for yourself. I know I will definitely still use this feature.

Chris Barcellos March 6th, 2011 06:17 PM

Ryan:

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. I will do a bit more exploration with the footage.

Chris

Chris Westerstrom March 6th, 2011 06:19 PM

really cool of you to share, thanks

Michael Ojjeh March 6th, 2011 06:35 PM

great info Chris, thanks for sharing.

So on the T3i you just push the magnifying button to get the 3X zoom ?

Chris Barcellos March 6th, 2011 06:55 PM

I downloaded Ryan's footage, and did some playing with the last scene. It is hard to tell because of the different angle of views, but I feel like the details are resolving a bit better in the 3x zoom, because of less line skipping.

However, the real way to test it is to shoot that same scene or a similar one with the lens in wide mode, at 3x, then the zoom lens set at 55mm in normal mode. In that way the field fo view should be pretty close, and which mode resolves detail better should be pretty evident.

Ryan Farnes March 6th, 2011 06:55 PM

You pull up the "Quick Menu" and under the option to change the frame rate and size (720 60fps, 1080 24fps, etc...) there is an option to switch into 3-10x zoom mode. When activated, it defaults to 3x zoom, and then by pressing a button with the zoom buttons (same as T2i/7D) it zooms in and out at a constant rate.

I'll never use more than the 3x zoom for any serious shots.

But anyways, hopefully the footage gives a glimpse. Chris, I'm definitely interested to do more tests to try out your recommendation to not move the camera and compare the 3x zoom on a wide focal length with the actual equivalent focal length with no zoom.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the T3i, even with the price bump from a T2i. Articulating screen, manual audio, 3x zoom. Its a pretty swell camera.

Chris Barcellos March 6th, 2011 07:12 PM

Thanks Ryan, look forward to it. (I am getting that nervous stomach feeling. A BestBuy is two blocks from my house.)

Laurence Janus March 6th, 2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 1625044)
Thanks for the test Lawrence!

What do you think the flickering is at the bottom?

I am not really sure, I need to check the original footage and see if it is from Vimeo or the original file.
I used my 4GB FAT16 Class 6 SD card which I had in my S95 so it may have been something to do with the card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1625051)
On the opening shot, was that 10x digital, with the physical zoom set at wide ? ? And then 3x digital with the physical zoom at wide (18mm) ????

Nicely spotted! Yes, that is exactly right.

Mat Thompson March 7th, 2011 06:27 AM

Interesting tests Ryan. I think the x3 material looks great. I'm going to head down to the camera shop today and check one out in the flesh. I'll take a card and try a few tests myself.

Ryan Farnes March 7th, 2011 11:02 AM

Good deal Mat. I know you did that piece, Hudson's Monarch. Are you thinking of using the 3x feature for macro cinematography?

I know that Emm at Cheesycam.com thought that was an excellent use for it.
T3i 3x Zoom w/ 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro CheesyCam

Phil Bloom March 7th, 2011 03:13 PM

Very useful tests Ryan. Thanks

Been playing with it myself. Don't think it works as well as the GH2 crop but it's nice to have. Agreed stick to 3x. The rest is pointless!

Chris Barcellos March 7th, 2011 03:29 PM

Hey Phil:

Are you saying you have been comparing T3i in 3x mode and regular GH2 footage of the same seen at similar angles of view ? If so, are you saying you can't get as good resolution as the GH2 ?