DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Why is the bench and table throbbing? 24p test -60D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/492575-why-bench-table-throbbing-24p-test-60d.html)

Kren Barnes March 3rd, 2011 12:33 AM

Why is the bench and table throbbing? 24p test -60D

Been playing around with some footages using Canopus Procoder 3 to convert the .mov file to editable avi file edited via PPro CS3..after encoding via Adobe Media Encoder as either H.264 (720P) or MPEG- DVD i noticed on both formats that the top of the benches and the priest's table seems to be throbbing . is it supposed to be like this? this was shot in 1080p /24p with 1/50th shutter speed, ISO 640. I loaded the converted footage to PPro project setting 24P DV NTSC Widescreen

Thanks,

Joel Peregrine March 3rd, 2011 11:39 AM

Re: Why is the bench and table throbbing? 24p test -60D

Hi Kren,

The only time I've ever seen that is when I had to shoot SD with the T2i for another producer. It showed up when I transcoded the H264 to DV/NTSC to match their other footage.

Rusty Rogers March 3rd, 2011 11:49 AM

HD to SD conversion is problematic no matter what method you pick.
TmpgEnc 4 Xpress Tutorial for downscaling Edius HD to SD
Anton's method (link above) does work really well and is worth a look.
You should edit in HD, export a file then down-convert the single file. Procoder is no longer the tool of choice.

Brian Maurer March 3rd, 2011 02:59 PM

Also, be sure to remember: each time that you run footage through a conversion, you'll lose something. You're converting from HD to SD, losing a tremendous amount of information, then editing it, then exporting again to a video you uploaded to Vimeo. I agree with the above. If it's at all possible, work with the native footage, and export as a SD file through Encoder. Though, I do know that the HD preset isn't in CS3.

Also, I'd export to MP4, H.264, or a .mov, H.264. Even if it is SD, unless you only want to use the footage on an actual DVD.

John Wiley March 3rd, 2011 07:05 PM

What you are seeing is aliasing - false image artefacts - introduced in the down-conversion/compression stage.

What is happening, in over simplified terms, is that the line holding the image data for the top of the bench was taken out in the downconversion. Now that data has to go elsewhere, but it can't make up it's mind if it wants to go to the line above or below, so it jumps back and forth. Obviusly it's a lot more complex than this, but the solution is to use a better compression/down-conversion process.

Kren Barnes March 16th, 2011 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! what i've done is to simply convert the compressed .mov file to a more manageable .m2t (720p) file for editing. i've noticed very little degradation and my new laptop with PPro CS4 can handle editing HD material (just not native H.264).

Cheers!

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Videography