DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Buying 7D today? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/493442-buying-7d-today.html)

Ramji Meena March 22nd, 2011 12:10 PM

Buying 7D today?

Hi Friends ,
I urgently need to buy a single decent camera for still and video. I know the NAB is near but due to the earth quack there may not be 5D replacement announcement.Part of my scheduled shooting is from next week.Is it safe to buy 7D now.I know when the replacement is announced prices drops drastically.Please advise.

Or do you think the latest Nikon D7000 is a better option( but it does not have the 25P which i need).I prefer the still from nikon.

Daniel Weber March 22nd, 2011 06:08 PM

Re: Buying 7D today?

then buy a 7D now if you need it. The Nikon is still not up to professional video...

Spiros Zaharakis March 22nd, 2011 06:44 PM

If stills are very important to you then either 5D MkII or 7D (in that order) otherwise if stills is a second priority 7D or 60D.
For video only I usually suggest 550D or 60D but you can also add 600D in the game.

Ramji Meena March 23rd, 2011 03:00 AM

Stills are also equally important and other important aspect of video in my working conditions is the availability of very low light.I was actually thinking of buying 5D mark ii but really afraid of the loosing 5D mark iii which may be announced soon. I am really confused at this point of time.
I think instead of going for mark ii I buy 7D and add another Mark iii when it is available.

Chris Medico March 23rd, 2011 05:29 AM

If you are worried about what is next then you may never buy a camera. There is always something next.

If you have work to do today then buy the best camera that fits your needs today and don't chase tomorrow.

Norman Pogson March 23rd, 2011 08:57 AM

I have been concerned about the still image quality from the 7D, I have a Nikon D300 for stills and have had it longer than the 7D and I'm very used to it's short comings on stills, but I have a workflow that gives excellent results.

The Canon 7D was meant to replace the D300, to have a one camera solution, my early tries at getting D300 quality was not good, so I stopped trying and just carried two systems, until I admitted I can't physically do that. I took time with Canon DPP software and in a couple of days taught myself how to get D300 quality stills using the Canon software before photoshop.

You are entering the Canon HD-DSLR's at the end of a product cycle, so you buy a 7D and forget about getting the latest and greatest, or you go with a 60D or T3i and save a few $ and upgrade in a years time.

Nikon are not a viable HD-DSLR at this time for 1080p.

Roger Shealy March 23rd, 2011 10:15 AM

The 7D is a great camera, but I agree with the previous post it is at the end of it's cycle, at least from a video perspective, as I believe the 5D is as well. Sorry guys, I own 2 Canon DSLR's, but it looks like except for extreme low light, the newer Panasonic GH2's are taking the cake at this point. Canon hasn't resolved it rather low resolution, aliasing, or moire on their cams that I've seen. I'm also very impressed with some of the new small sensor consumer cameras that can be had for a song.

Times are a-changing, looks Panasonic and Sony are pushing harder.

Ramji Meena March 25th, 2011 10:21 PM

Chris Medico--If you have work to do today then buy the best camera that fits your needs today
Spiros Zaharakis--If stills are very important to you then either 5D MkII or 7D(in that order)

I need it today and stills are very very important for me .I always work in low lighted caves.I think even today the low light king in VDSLR is markii.Finally I am going to buy the 5D markii body and a 50mm f/1.2L even today.don't have the budget for other lenses will think later.Anyone please suggest the budget decent wide lens.

Thank you so much every body.

Spiros Zaharakis March 26th, 2011 04:36 AM

The 5D is an excelent choise in your case.

I suggest that you also take a look at the Sigma 50 f1.4 as well as the lower priced but descent Canon 50 f1.4.
If you have a limited budget it is better to use it to buy what you really need first and leave the expensive toys for later.
f1.2 is really tough to work with. DOF is simply too shallow.
IMHO f1.4 lenses will give you the results you need and save you some money to spend on other usefull things.
Take a look also on the Canon 85 f1.8 and the amazing Sigma 85 f1.4.
For wide angle the ultimate choise is the Canon 24L f1.4 markII.
Actually it is the best choise by far. I will not suggest any low budget wide angle for stills. For video only you will be able to get away with cheaper alternatives but for stills the Canon 24L has no competition.

If I were you. I would get the 24 f1.4 and either the Canon or the Sigma 50 f1.4 first and look for other lenses later.

Jon Fairhurst March 26th, 2011 04:06 PM

There's also the Zeiss 50/1.4, which is the least expensive of the Zeiss lenses. The glass is well behaved and the focus ring is super smooth. It's better for video than photos though, as it doesn't have autofocus.

Scott Hayes April 5th, 2011 08:53 AM

you gotsda have some 1.4 lenses in your bag for low light, it's like shooting in the dark. I LOVE my 7D,
its far better than the 5D for stills from an AF and speed point of view. however, for video, i am starting
to find the 1.6 crop factor limiting in some situations. That being said, you can get a 7D and sigma 1.4 glass for cheaper than even a used 5D2. 30f1.4 and 85f1.4 are two great choices. I have the 50, its outstanding!!

Bob Willis April 12th, 2011 11:11 AM

post removed

Bob Willis April 12th, 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 1635579)
you gotsda have some 1.4 lenses in your bag for low light, it's like shooting in the dark. I LOVE my 7D,
its far better than the 5D for stills from an AF and speed point of view. however, for video, i am starting
to find the 1.6 crop factor limiting in some situations. That being said, you can get a 7D and sigma 1.4 glass for cheaper than even a used 5D2. 30f1.4 and 85f1.4 are two great choices. I have the 50, its outstanding!!

The Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 might solve any 1.6 crop factor issues.