Audio Format? 7D & Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Format? 7D & Zoom

Hey guys, i post a million questions a week but i have yet another... My question is in regards to recording audio. I have just got the zoom h4n in the mail today and I am shooting a concert with the Canon 7D tomorrow. I edit on FCP and was wondering what format I should record audio in on the Zoom h4n(MP3 or WAV; at 128, 96 , ect...??)... Are there any specific settings I set my Zoom to that you would recomend in terms of concert noise? I am also planing on doing some short interviews, any tips? Generally i want the best quality that i can get without any background distortion and noise( and no problems with sync in pluraleyes)___. thanks again!

daniel
Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Audio Format? 7D & Zoom

If you have a big enough card to capture the whole event, I'd recommend 48 kHz @ 24 bits, uncompressed PCM WAV.

By recording at 48 kHz, you won't have to re-sample the audio for the final video. By recording 24-bits, you'll have lots of headroom. Set the recording levels on the quiet side, since the H4n has no limiters.

After you edit the piece, including level adjustments, possible compression, and EQ, apply dithering and create a 16-bit, 48 kHz master.

Best of luck with the recording!
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick reply. ignore my audio ignorance, but by recording 48 khz@ 24 bit, will that be the best quality to sync, and edit with? Hypothetically i want the least amount of problems (compressing ect..) in the edit, to the point where once i sync the audio, i am done with it. Thanks again,
~daniel.
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, you'd use 24-bit, 48 kHz for syncing and editing. That will give you optimum quality. Some like 96kHz, but that cuts your recording time in half and any quality gains are questionable and might be negative.

Professionals with top equipment shoot at 24-bit, 48 kHz. 96 kHz and above is for studio and audiophile work with very high-end equipment - especially when delivering to SACD, DVD-Audio, or some other high sample rate output.

Video is output at 48 kHz, so shoot at 48 kHz. :)
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dayani View Post
Hey guys, i post a million questions a week but i have yet another... My question is in regards to recording audio. I have just got the zoom h4n in the mail today and I am shooting a concert with the Canon 7D tomorrow. I edit on FCP and was wondering what format I should record audio in on the Zoom h4n(MP3 or WAV; at 128, 96 , ect...??)... Are there any specific settings I set my Zoom to that you would recomend in terms of concert noise? I am also planing on doing some short interviews, any tips? Generally i want the best quality that i can get without any background distortion and noise( and no problems with sync in pluraleyes)___. thanks again!

daniel
Jon has given you some great advice. Are you taking a feed direct from the audio board or just using the built in mics? I would take a feed from the board if at all possible.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Jon, I've been told to use the concert limiter at weddings? So I think it does have limiters? Did you mean, no good limiters?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

im actually just going to be using the mics,iv heard tests and without even having a direct feed this zoom picks up excellent quality!
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
Jon, I've been told to use the concert limiter at weddings? So I think it does have limiters? Did you mean, no good limiters?
I had tested the H4n some time ago but don't own one. Recently I read that the DR-100 had limiters but the H4n didn't. Maybe I'm repeating bad info. I'm not sure. Hopefully an H4n owner can clarify...
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Tourist

Question about more head room.. (24bit) does that mean I'm less likely to get a volume spike that will get clipped.. or just that if I need to boost the audio volume it will be better quality because Im working with more info?

So if I do record in 24 bit.. I would want to bring back down to 16 bit for youtube/dvd so what exactly does apply dithering mean? Can anyone suggest a good workflow (using FCP and SoundTrackPro)
Scott Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dayani View Post
im actually just going to be using the mics,iv heard tests and without even having a direct feed this zoom picks up excellent quality!
Insist on getting a line feed from the PA if at all possible; recording with built-in mics will always sound horrible, no matter how good the H4 mics are. You'll get a hollow sound with no depth, louse treble response etc...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I had tested the H4n some time ago but don't own one. Recently I read that the DR-100 had limiters but the H4n didn't. Maybe I'm repeating bad info. I'm not sure. Hopefully an H4n owner can clarify...
I have 3 of them and yes they do have limiters. I have no idea how well they work because I've never used them.

He'll be much better off using it without them. They are nothing more than an AGC and he'll lose something at some point.

Good advice to set it low or midrange and bring it up in post.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

If you can, you should definitely get a feed from the mixing desk so that you get a clean feed of audio. By recording in 4 channel mode, u will be using the inbuilt mic also. Then mix it in post! Recording at 48khz would be fine and make sure u set your frame rates properly for your project before u sync, or else u might get audio shifting later in the edit.
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Just to add two notes... if using the onboard mics, they WILL pick up the click sound made by the buttons on the unit. For example, each time you adjust the recording level with the up/down button on the side of the recorder, those faint sounding clicks are very loud on playback. I prefer to use the wired remote. Also, remember to verify you are actually recording and not in record/pause mode, which is what happens when you hit the record button. Hit record twice or hit record and then hit the pause button to actually get into recording mode, indicated by a solid red light on the REC button. Sounds simple, but man I got burned once by both of these.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Trustee

I too have been burnt by the record/pause mode of the Zoom H4n.

I agree with others that you should try and get a live feed. The quality will be far superior to what the onboard mics will get.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD