cant play recovered files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Major Player

cant play recovered files

hi all

I have a bit of a problem, my 550d messed up (i think the battery ran out mid recording) and the card could not be recognised.

i ran a sandisk repair prog, and managed to recover a bunch of mov files (most of them the exact same size)

trouble is i cannot open these recovered files, quicktime gives me the 2048 error, and no other program willl open it (PPro, wm player, vlc, mp classic etc....)

One video program (aleesoft ipad convertor) recognized the file, even how long it was, but crashed hen i tried to convert it.

The smallest of these files is 90mb, so i could upload if anyone was willing to take a look? (suggestions of how where to upload would also be great. )

Thanks in advance for any help

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: cant play recovered files

Hi James,

I feel your pain. From experience I can say that you're going to have better luck using a different recovery program rather than trying to salvage the current files you've got. Assuming you've neither added data nor initialized the card theres a good chance you can get everything back if you use a more intensive program. Theres even a chance you can get it all back if you have formatted the card. Are you Mac or PC based? I recently had to recover the files on a card I formatted in the camera. I'm on a Mac and tried the trial versions of three recovery programs. The first two found some of the files and some of those recovered were garbage - not recognized by QT. Those first partially successful attempts were with File Salvage and Disk Drill. The third, Data Rescue 3, recovered everything. All files played fine.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: cant play recovered files

Thanks for the reply, I should have said in my post, im PC based, xp, and win 7.
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD