Time Lapse from Day to Night at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Time Lapse from Day to Night

Hi, I've seen some wedding videographers use their 7D's to create a day to night time lapse shot. I know one way of doing it is to leave your camera running for hours on end, but is there a trick to create a day to night time lapse for a wedding where you don't have the option of leaving your camera unattended for that long?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Time Lapse from Day to Night

My GoPro HD Hero can take timelapse pics unattended, it's small, waterproof (just in case) and a lot cheaper than a 7D. Just don't forget about it :)
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

That's a coincidende: a just made a clip with the GoPro and the 7D (as steadycam). Take a look here:
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been mixing some GoPro footage with the 7D lately and you can't really tell a difference. I'm sure you can hide the GoPro somewhere to shoot the day while you are off with your 7D(s).

It would be a hassle, but you could always take your 7D and shoot a photo every 30 min in the exact spot each time and then align them in After Effects. It would help to set a user preset so you don't have to remember what your first shot was. Sounds a little tedious but it would save on another camera purchase.
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Let see... a day to night timelapse should probably last about five seconds - enough time to digest what is happening, yet not so long to be boring. At 24 fps, that's 120 frames. Let's say you want to cover a two hour sunset. That's one frame per minute.

Can you hire somebody for $20 to watch your camera for that period of time?
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Tourist

I'm not sure if this is an answer but the free software Canon provides with the 7D let's you do time lapse. It must be connected to a computer for the software to control the Camera though. I did a 15 hour time lapse last week with it. Lots of fun.
Christopher Trice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Hi, I've seen some wedding videographers use their 7D's to create a day to night time lapse shot. I know one way of doing it is to leave your camera running for hours on end, but is there a trick to create a day to night time lapse for a wedding where you don't have the option of leaving your camera unattended for that long?
You could always take the video the day (Or week) before when you have time. Add it later.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD