The best zoom lens for handheld shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The best zoom lens for handheld shooting?

So, I realize these cameras are not what you would probably go for when shooting outdoor handheld stuff, but here's the deal. The director on this wants really shallow depth of field. We're thinking about renting an EX-3 or something, but it's just not going to have that sweet, needed DOF on a bright day in the middle of times square without a lot of extra work. I've gotten pretty good at shooting / focusing with the t2i, and I think that look you get when you find focus on that camera will work well aesthetically. But my longest lens is a 50, which is not long at all. I just haven't had a need to get anything else yet, and now I do.

I need a good zoom lens for versatility in shooting. Night shooting makes me hope for something relatively fast, like the tamaron 17-50, though 50 is not that great a telefoto. Of course, the lenses that are great telefoto/zooms (like the canons that go to 200) are, from everything I read here, way too heavy and bulky for hand-held shooting on these cameras.

So the question is, what's the best compromise? Is there something like a 50-150 (to throw out a range) that isn't so heavy? Does it have IS? How close can we get to a good video zoom lens, like the kind you would find on an EX-3, that works with this body, without actually getting an EX-3?

thanks in advance...
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: The best zoom lens for handheld shooting?

I've been thinking about the 24-105 with IS lately..... I know its not that fast but for handheld plus the range, it just seems so appealing. For me, I'm coming from a Canon XHA1 so 60D paired with that lens at f4 is way better than my xh wide open with the gain up in low light....Especially with not having a constant aperture through the zoom, the 24-105 sounds good. You could shot on the 5D and get better iso performance and the creamier bokeh. Keep us informed on what you end up going with,
Alexandru Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, the 24-105 is a great hand held lens. IS makes all the difference. My 70-200 f4 is not bad either.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

When light levels permit, the 24-105 f4 IS is great, My personal choice for both the 5D and the 7D.
For crop sensor cameras there are a few options more. Sigma announced the new version of the 50-150 f2.8 OS lens. It's not available yet but when it hits the stores it will be a very good choice.
Other than that and just because stabilization is very important when shooting handheld, the only other options are the 70-200 stabilized lenses (two from Canon and one from Sigma) and the 17-50/55 f2.8 with stabilizer from Canon, Tamron and Sigma.
Non stabilized lenses handheld can be fine with some practice but it is very easy to ruin a shot because of shake.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
Of course, the lenses that are great telefoto/zooms (like the canons that go to 200) are, from everything I read here, way too heavy and bulky for hand-held shooting on these cameras.
The problem is not that these lenses are too heavy for hand held shooting - at least for short periods. In fact, these lenses are designed with proper handling and balance in mind and the extra bulk and wieight tends to minimise hand shake. The problem is that it is unreasonable to think that you can shoot anything decent handheld at 200mm. The bigger, better balanced lens might make things 50% less shaky, but shooting at 200mm instead of 50mm makes any shake 400% worse!

You will struggle to find any lens that you can consistantly shoot handheld video with at over 50mm without some kind of shoulder mount or support. Even with IS, for handheld shooting you're better off using a monopod or something (anything!) to stabilise your shot.

And yes, I know people might chime in commenting how that shot so-and-so handheld at xmm. Yes, you can pull off the occasional salvagable shot handheld at long focal lengths, but to do it consistantly, reproduce it again, do it all day long, or meet any of the other crazy demands of our jobs you need a tripod or other support.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Trustee

I know people love to sling mud at the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS for being pricey where the equivalent Tamron does a great job for so much less money... but...

The Canon's focus ring spins the same way as other Canon lenses, and the Tokina 11-16 AND Sigma 50mm F1.4 (this is my jobbing lens set). Believe me, this is an absolute necessity. You have to pull and follow focus by muscle memory rather than rational thought. I have a Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 that is an eyewateringly beautiful bit of glass, but because it rotates the other way (like the Tamron) I've effed up too many shots for me to rely on it in the mayhem of run-and-gun (no rehearsal, not take two) shooting.

It doesn't have IS either, and unless you're taking Beta Blockers, you're not going to get away with handheld shots at the long end without it. I'm not talking about relaxed shooting, I'm talking about being paid to get shots (and not working again if you don't get shots).

The Canon's IS is very good, and combined with some sort of support (your choice of Zacuto Sharpshooter and Z-Finder substitue), you're getting great handheld shots that are stable enough to earn money with. I bought mine for half the published RRP: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S - Canon UK

So let's hear it for the Canon 17-55 IS!
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, I'd agree that either the Tamron or the Canon 17-50 zoom are good choices. Lots o people say the IS Tamron is a little soft when compared to it's non-IS brother, so def try it before you buy it.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So I rented the 70-200mm and must report that it is brilliant. I also rented the RedRock shoulder mount and barely used it, because it was easier to hand-hold the camera (mostly holding the heavy lens) and shoot that way. Even at 200, following a pedestrian across the street and rack focusing was smooth- REALLY smooth. The IS makes all the difference, and if you don't believe me, rent it and see. Hand held, T2i, zoomed in at 200, smooth motion. I am now a believer.
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I ended up renting the 70-200 isII, and a red rock shoulder mount to help with the shake. Who knew, I didn't even need the shoulder mount- I could shoot hand-held in the middle of Times Square, fully zoomed in, and follow pedestrians crossing the street with a smooth, smooth motion. It was actually easier to do this without the mount. Everything you believe about the rules of shooting is out the window with this lens- it's amazing!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD