Need to spend some money!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Need to spend some money!!

Okay folks need suggestions. I want to trick out my 7d and am looking for the following.
7d cage want to be able to mount a z00m h4 and a monitor
slide or rails for tripod use the bogen 501 head
follow focus. not the most expensive but reliable
possibly a shoulder support system
Matte box. Not necessary but looks impressive.
lights. Looking at led for different shooting scenarios. Will be doing interviews.

My budget is around 3 to 4 thousand. I've looked at many threads and forums and really want to see what you have and how you rate it and if you recommend it.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need to spend some money!!

What are you filming? This determines needs.

Wanting all this gear must mean you already have the essentials below:

Good quality fast lenses. A good set of primes or for doc work zooms - aim for L glass quality.
The very best mics you can afford (Two mics) - plus Lav mic set up when needed.
High quality tripod with fluid head.

The above will improve your work by 90%. The list you mention will add the next 10%.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Wants a above average interview video. What I mean by that is he doesn't want the basic stand in front of camera and talk. More cinematic I guess with camera movement, different angles etc... Just want's something better than the competition. I do have primes and what I think is a solid fluid head and tripod. Just need some specifics on what you would suggest. I know I need good mics but what mic do you recommend? Remember I'm using a zoom h4.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Major Player

If you are doing a lot of interviews, it depends if you are a one-man band or have an assistant.

I do interviews with an assistant but use a Sennheiser G3 lav set up for 0ver 50% of them - the rest are shared between AT4035 or Rode NTG-3. The AT mic is very small - I shoot in remote locations so weight and size of all my equipment is a big factor. I send the mics-lavs into a Tascam DR-100 (also have a zoom).
With a lav mic you can get the interviewee to move rather than the camera. I put a new Rode videomic pro on the 7D for sync track - this is a must.
If you are on your own, you need a lav set up.

I have almost all the 'good gear' .... zacuto rigs, monitors, follow-focus, slider - dollies, tons of gadgets ... but the more I shoot with a 7D the less I now use!!
I am on location right now in Beijing finishing a doc I have been shooting for a year on a 7D ... hundreds of hours in 4 countries. Trust me, a pimped out big rig is the last thing I need - this week I hiked to the top of the Great Wall to shoot a scene - stripped down to the bones - a 7D, 2 lenses and Tripod! I am now shooting external B-Rooll footage on a GH2 with one Olly lens and a ultra-lightweight Gitzo mountaineer tripod and I love it.... nothing else. The entire combo weights maybe 4 Ibs. I love the GH2 ... so easy to use after the 7D.
My opinion is for doc work the 7D is a big pain!! My experience anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Need to spend some money!!-jon-greatwall.jpg  
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jon,
What fluid head is that?

I'm trying to put a light weight rig together on a carbon tripod for hiking & shooting nature. My Libec fluid head works well, but the tripod is a bit bulky for hiking.

Thanks & regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Major Player

This is the Miller Solo carbon fiber legs with the Miller DS-20 head. It is fairly light but very very tough. I can take this anywhere and I have to. Not the greatest but I cannot use studio tripods.

For me the fast set-up is a big plus - this takes 15 seconds!
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Perfect, thanks Jon.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

For rails and mattbox I like what genustech.tv offers.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Major Player

I find that the 7D wit the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro and a simple Manfrotto Monopod is all I need. Of course, I already have some of the best L-lenses. But I never use a sunhood, not even for still photograhpy, so why would I need a mattebox? Any filters that I might need I will screw on my lens front and flare is always welcome: some of the best pics I took are full of flare. Look here: Concertpix - Internatonal Artists
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD