DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What linse would you perfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/493988-what-linse-would-you-perfer.html)

Steffan Rasmussen April 2nd, 2011 10:31 AM

What linse would you perfer

(Sorry for my english hope you understand..!)

I'm going to New York soon and I've decided to buy myself a canon 60d. To this I would like to add a new lense for video. I've considered a canon 28mm 1.8 but what do you think?

I allready have a canon 50mm 1.4 and a canon 100mm 2.8 macro so I need something more wide angle but is 28mm enough?

I allso looked at the canon 24mm 1.4 but it is very expensive. Maby sigma og tamron make a nice 24mm?

At last i looked at the canon 17-55mm 2.8 or the 24-70mm 2.8 but dont know if they will bee good for video?

Hope some of you can help me

Dave Partington April 2nd, 2011 12:21 PM

Re: What linse would you perfer

We use the 24-70L all the time (well, we have other lenses too, but it's a lens that has great flexibility). I wouldn't hesitate to use it provided you have enough light for f2.8.

The 28 f1.8 is only a little bit longer than 24mm so you may not notice the difference. Of course f1.8 vs 2.8 is 1.5 stops faster and will have the option of slightly shallower DOF.

It depends what you will be shooting - and only you can answer that one.

Luke Gates April 2nd, 2011 12:42 PM

Since you have 50mm and 100mm covered, I would either go with the fast 28 prime, which you will likely find to not be wide enough on a crop sensor, or the tokina 11-16 which would be great in the city or the canon 17-55/tamron 17-50

Phil Murray April 2nd, 2011 08:02 PM

I have the Sigma 17-50 OS lens and absolutely love it. It is very sharp and the stabilization helps both with video and photos -- especially in the evening.

I just bought a Tokina 11-16. It doesn't have image stabilization, but the quality is incredible -- just as everyone says about it. I think it is going to be my favorite daytime lens.

Both of these f/2.8 lenses are fantastic and cover a good range.

For really low light needs, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is great. I also have an excellent Canon 100mm f2 for a little more reach, but the Canon 85mm 1.8 is extremely popular and very well recommended.

I've been going back to my Canon 70-300 IS for longer shots. I got a great deal on it and have never regretted buying it. It is not great in very low light situations, but in the daytime is very sharp, focuses fast, and has minimal distortion. I'm also considering a Sigma 150-500 OS lens for really long shots. (I have a Tamron 200-500 that I'm not thrilled with because of the lack of stabilization.)

Phil

John Wiley April 2nd, 2011 08:34 PM

Take a look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC version). It's amazingly good quality and excellent value.

Ted Ramasola April 2nd, 2011 10:26 PM

for wide angle, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

John Vincent April 3rd, 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1634690)
Take a look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC version). It's amazingly good quality and excellent value.

I'd 2nd that emotion, It's a very good "walk around" lens. It pretty much never comes off of my T2....

Check out this very comprehensive review:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-review.aspx

Phil Murray April 12th, 2011 06:55 PM

Now that I've hasd a couple of weeks to play around with my Tokina 11-16, I have to agree with all the superlatives that everyone says about it. I absolutely love it!

The image quality is superb. Even though it doesn't have full-time manual focus, I took to the little "pull down the ring" mechanics almost immediately and can manually focus very fast,. if necessary. I prefer a little more range in a walk-around zoom, but since I have a preference for wide-angles, this one is on more than any other lens right now.

The distortion is much less than other wide lenses I've owned, too. Lets me get a lot of coverage on a single frame.

(Of course, tomorrow I have a 150-500 OS lens coming that I can't wait to try out!)