DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   600D accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/494095-600d-accessories.html)

George Logothetis April 4th, 2011 05:32 PM

600D accessories

Hello people,

After getting my new dslr, I want to invest to accessories. what shall I buy first? Got tripod.

Debating over 64gb sdxc, and rode videomic (sound levels work apparently!), any alternatives to this?

cheers!

John Wiley April 4th, 2011 07:53 PM

Re: 600D accessories

I'd actually advise going with smaller 32GB or 16GB SDHC memory cards. That way you are not paying the premium for the larger card (prices in Australia tend to rise exponentially to the memory increase though this may not be the case everywhere) and you don't have to worry about losing everything if you have a card error or lose it. I'd much rather lose 16GB of data that 64GB.

Kin Lau April 4th, 2011 08:00 PM

The best bang for the buck still seems to be 16 & 32gig sdhc's for now. I also use a Rode Videomic with mine. The Hoodman LCD loupe or any other LCD loupe should be high on your list.

A good tripod is pretty well a necessity.

Andy Wilkinson April 5th, 2011 12:25 AM

Congrats on the camera. Rode VideoMic PRO is the one you want (not the older Rode Videomic) and again I'd buy several good reliable and fast 16GB cards (I personally choose Sandisk).

George Logothetis April 5th, 2011 09:03 AM

The reason I chose the 64gb is bcause it records more than 4gb apparently. 4gbs as far as I know in 720 mode isnt more than 3 minutes (?). I would love to have a bit more extra time for this long shots and time lapses.

Also I found an old vivitar 35-70 lenses kit. will this work with my 600d?

George Logothetis April 5th, 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1635478)
Congrats on the camera. Rode VideoMic PRO is the one you want (not the older Rode Videomic) and again I'd buy several good reliable and fast 16GB cards (I personally choose Sandisk).

Are you sure about the videomic pro? been hearing some bad stuff recently about it... :/

Andy Wilkinson April 5th, 2011 12:11 PM

Rode Video Mic Pro for Canon 600D

Well I just bought one today for my 7D and Panasonic TM900 so will let you know once it arrives.

I think some say it does not deserve the name 'pro' since its lightweight plastic and has a very thin cable which some think might not last, as well as the suspension rubber bands that, sometimes, seem to slip off very easily. This last one I know how to deal with as I've posted my tip about that on DVinfo before that I've used for years with my Rode Videomic, Superglue - assuming I can doe the same with this new design!

It has a 10 year guarantee and I know from personal experience that if, in the unlikely event, anything goes wrong with a Rode product that they go to extraordinary lengths to put things right. I own a Rode Stereo Videomic and a Rode NTG-3 (which I use on my EX3).

Buy what you want - but that's why I went with the Rode VMP. Should have it sometime next week (did not pay for rush delivery as I've a ton of other stuff I should be doing rather than typing this anyway!

More info here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...eomic-pro.html

Spiros Zaharakis April 5th, 2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Logothetis (Post 1635583)
The reason I chose the 64gb is bcause it records more than 4gb apparently. 4gbs as far as I know in 720 mode isnt more than 3 minutes (?). I would love to have a bit more extra time for this long shots and time lapses.

Also I found an old vivitar 35-70 lenses kit. will this work with my 600d?

George, the 600D will not record longer with the SDXC card. To overcome the 4gb limit you will need a camera that operates with the exFAT format and not just a card that supports it. The 600D operates on FAT32.
Recording times at 1080p and 720p are approximately 12 minutes regardless of frame rate.

Any old 35mm format lens as long as it is not CanonFD or Minolta MD mount will work on your Canon with the right adapter.

Vivitar has some nice Series one zoom lenses like the 70-210 f3.5, the 28-90 f2.8-4 and 35-105 f2.8-4.

If you go with old MF lenses get a few primes first like a 50mm f1.4 (Pentax or Olympus with be a great choice), a Nikon 24 f2, or an ultra cheap MIR 35mm f2

Kin Lau April 5th, 2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Logothetis (Post 1635583)

That's way off - Even in 720p, the Canon DSLR's will do 12-15 mins. Even with SDXC cards, you cannot record more than 4gigs at a time.

Spiros Zaharakis April 5th, 2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Logothetis (Post 1635642)
Are you sure about the videomic pro? been hearing some bad stuff recently about it... :/

Andy said it all,
I just want to add that with the Videomic Pro you get the +20db, 0db, -10db, and -20db settings in front of you, and you really need them.
+20db on quiet environments to avoid using a high gain level, and the minus settings when you go in very loud environments (like night clubs) and even the lowest audio gain setting is still too hot.

You can also secure the rubber bands on the PRO with some gaffer tape.

George Logothetis April 5th, 2011 05:42 PM

Is there a good place to look for it? been looking on amazon atm

Andy Wilkinson April 8th, 2011 01:47 PM

600D or 7D and Rode Videomic Pro

George,

My Rode Videomic Pro arrived today. You can read about my initial impressions of it on the DVinfo Rode VMP thread linked in Post 7 of this thread.

Andy