canon 7D supply chain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Major Player

canon 7D supply chain

Has anyone else noticed that you can't find a new Canon 7D to purchase? I hear that the Tsunami is affecting the supply chain.

does anyone else have any info on this? I needed to pick up another kit for my office.

Maybe the 60D?

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: canon 7D supply chain

I noticed this last week. And any place that has them, have jacked the price up to the 5D realm. I'm not a video professional (an obsessed hobbyist more like it), but am saving for a DSLR or large sensor camera. 7D was my goal. With NAB a week or so away, I'm hoping for an announcement of some sort from cannon. I was hoping for a 5Dmk3 or a large sensor video camera, similar to the Panasonic AF100.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There have been some things stirring around about Sony not being able to produce sensors since the disaster, and supposedly ALL their NAB announcements were cancelled (were supposed to be today...).

I would imagine Canon and all the other Japanese manufacturers are struggling right now.

It does appear that MANY electronic items from Japan are suddenly going up in price and down in availability.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Daniel -

I may let go of a 7D if you want to buy used - but almost new. I have two 7Ds and its overkill.

One is almost new and hardly used with all its original packaging and manuals etc - it has a 50mm 1.8 lens.
Original boxes for the 7D body and lens included.

My other 7D is a year old but I do not have the boxes-packaging for this.

I am at jon at emptymindfilms.com if you are interested.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Trustee

The 60D is the preferred camera for many these days, but if you decide to get that over a 2nd 7D, keep in mind you'd need a new set of batteries and SDHC cards.

The 60D makes more sense as a first HDSLR, but if you already own a 7D it might really help you to stick with 7D's so everything is compatibly.

Of course, you could also take advantage of the rising prices and sell your 7D, then trade it for a pair of 60D's!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Sometimes sudden unavailability is a precursor for new model release.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Major Player

I'd love to believe that is the case, but I think it has more to do with the earth quake and tsunami then a new product.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I agree with Jeff. I wonder how many "NAB announcements" will not happen this year because of the disaster?

At least the new FCP will be announced!!
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
The 60D is the preferred camera for many these days, but if you decide to get that over a 2nd 7D, keep in mind you'd need a new set of batteries and SDHC cards.
The 60D uses the same battery as the 7D.

But you are correct in the media change. I have both cameras and am purchasing the new SanDisk UHS 1 Pro 16GB SDHC cards to use in the 60D although my older SanDisk Extreme III Class (6) 20MBps and 30MBps as well as the SanDisk Class (10) work just fine in it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks for the correction Bruce. I though it was the 7D and 5D that shared that battery but you are correct!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Here in Japan they are still in stock and selling at 1,348.58 USD. Also still available on Amazon Japan.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Thanks for the correction Bruce. I though it was the 7D and 5D that shared that battery but you are correct!
They do. 5D mkII and 7D use the same battery. I have both and the batteries are interchangeable.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Major Player

I talked to a Canon rep at NAB today. He was surprised when I told him that you can't find a 7D for sale now. I then talked to someone from Able Cine who said that they were low on stock and no one is saying anything from Canon about the supply chain.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD