Magic Lantern for 60D! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Magic Lantern for 60D!

I also used ML at a few weddings I was very impressed until it's started giving me major problems now I stay away from ML, can't afford to have my camera freeze during important shots. It worked without a glitch & then suddenly freezes everything until I format the card - brilliant features but scary at weddings.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:35 PM   #32
Major Player

That's too bad Nicholas. No clue as to what triggered the freeze?
No permanent damage though, right?
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #33
Major Player

Jon nothing permanent, the freeze was trigger when I switched SD cards, one card would work and another would freeze my camera, this happened while I was filming a wedding just before the ceremony, totally freaked me out. I donated money toward the development of ML it's a powerful hack I just can't trust it again personally. I haven't tried ML again since the indecent however I wouldn't say someone else shouldn't give it a try it's really worth it & if it works for you it's amazing.

Another issue I discovered today is with Eye-Fi cards, my 60D won't turn on at all when I use an Eye-Fi card, which is very disappointing was hoping to play with my new toy, I can only imagine that ML has something to do with this.

Update: After uninstalling ML the Eye-Fi card works great.

Last edited by Nicholas de Kock; July 23rd, 2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Update
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM   #34
Major Player

Did you take the battery out and put it back in? This is what is suggested if any issue like a freeze comes up with ML.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #35
Major Player

Sam yes I did & it kept freezing every time after I took out the battery, I had to format all my cards in another camera to get my ML camera working again. Like I said ML is amazing but I just don't feel comfortable using it at once in a life-time events like weddings. I would love to hear from other event film makers to hear if they had any issues so far.
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #36
Major Player

I got magic lanterm (the 8th july unified version) on both my 60ds ang my 550d,

AWESOME!

Too many features to list, but a few of my favs

Not only manual audio, but a short cut to raise and lower it whilenrecording

Auto restart every 12 mins

Built in intervalometer

And much much more!
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Sam yes I did & it kept freezing every time after I took out the battery, I had to format all my cards in another camera to get my ML camera working again. Like I said ML is amazing but I just don't feel comfortable using it at once in a life-time events like weddings. I would love to hear from other event film makers to hear if they had any issues so far.
I would probably feel the same for weddings, but I don't do them. I have used ML for live events, but not crucial ones. So far ML has worked without issues.How can you do live events without monitoring audio with headphones, that ML provides? Do you have a separate sound man?
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
I got magic lanterm (the 8th july unified version) on both my 60ds ang my 550d,

AWESOME!

Too many features to list, but a few of my favs

Not only manual audio, but a short cut to raise and lower it whilenrecording

Auto restart every 12 mins

Built in intervalometer

And much much more!
How about audio monitoring with headphones? I would not consider doing a live event without it.
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Have you reported your bug to Alex and asked him if he knows of this issue?
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
How can you do live events without monitoring audio with headphones, that ML provides? Do you have a separate sound man?
Sam I never use the audio from my Canon cameras for anything serious, the Canon only records at 44.1kHz and not the standard 48kHz. All my audio is done off camera with either a Zoom H4n or into my two Sony EX1's, I use the Canon cameras for creative shots only.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
How about audio monitoring with headphones? I would not consider doing a live event without it.
That has been in Magic Lantern from the first alpha versions on the 5D2. I don't own a 60D. If it has a headphone output, monitoring can be enabled.
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Yep, all you need is a usb adaptor for your headphone, its an option in the ML menu, 'monitor audio usb'

So you can monitor audio, but most of the time i run my tascam as a backup
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
That has been in Magic Lantern from the first alpha versions on the 5D2. I don't own a 60D. If it has a headphone output, monitoring can be enabled.
By saying "how about audio monitoring" I wasn't asking if it had it - I use it all the time. It was more "how about mentioning" this important feature.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Sam I never use the audio from my Canon cameras for anything serious, the Canon only records at 44.1kHz and not the standard 48kHz. All my audio is done off camera with either a Zoom H4n or into my two Sony EX1's, I use the Canon cameras for creative shots only.
Are you saying you can't obtain "serious" audio at 44.1kHz? While I often use an external recorder, 44.1kHz recorded by the 60D results in very nice audio as well.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Jon - FYI, no Canon DSLR has a headphone output. Magic Lantern uses the USB port. One needs a converted cable, or using some adaptors on the USB cable that comes with the camera.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD