First video with Canon T2i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First video with Canon T2i

Well, after many posts on the forum, different threads, new equipment and a new computer, I finally was able to head on out and shoot some "loose" test footage with the new camera. Bear in mind that this is my first outing and I still have a lot to learn about this camera. Using the Monopod out in the woods wasn't as easy as I'd have liked it to be but c'est la vie. It was also nearly impossible to see the LCD screen (I learned, this day, that you can't view movie mode in the viewfinder...rats) but, over all, it was a nice walk and step one on a learning experience.

Voila:

or for you Youtube folk:
YouTube - Winter's End - A Walk In The Hills Of Gatineau

Can be viwed at 720p.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: First video with Canon T2i

Lookin' good! What lenses are you rockin?

And yes, you absolutely need some sort of hood at the very least to view the screen in daylight.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback, John. I admit, I was feeling a little low on my ability to start out with DSLR video and photography so comments are most welcome.

I used:
Canon 55-250mm
Canon 50mm 1.8

(the bulk was filmed with the 55-250mm)

Do you have a not so insanely priced hood suggestion?
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Robert... I use the LCD viewfinder. It's easy to install, and works well. I ended up buying another t2i. Which I then could easily swap out the viewfinder onto the other camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717562-REG/LCD_Viewfinder_LCDVF_3_2_LCDVF_3_2_LCD_ViewFinder.html
I've never been a huge fan of shooting on mono pods. When I'm doing run and gun event video I use a shoulder mount for my main camera, and the tiffen steady stick for my b cam. The steady stick is a good option in my opinion as far as versatility goes. The price is pretty comforting as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210200-REG/Davis_Sanford_SS3C_Steady_Stick_Compact.html
Since all of my other stab. gear is manfrotto. I took off the head on the steady stick and placed a small manfrotto head on top.

best of luck on the new adventure.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Trustee

Robert
I enjoyed viewing your video.The only thing that i would recommend is to have less panning and close-up shots;
and you are right you can't use this camera outdoor (in video mode) without a viewfinder.

Stelios
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
Do you have a not so insanely priced hood suggestion?
I DYIed one. Used a black card box used for trading cards/Magic cards (almost exactly the right dimensions and made of very tough plastic) that I then connect to the came via some thing strips of velco. They're available at just about any comic/hobby store. I also use a "z" shaped piece of metal that I slind into the hot-shoe, then connect to the card box for even more support.

I use the top half of a index card holder as and end cap. I also use a rectangular magnifying glass to enlarge the image - 2 bucks from Harbor Freight:
Rectangle Magnifying Glass

All this is a mod of Ted "Teddybear" Ramasola DIY design:
DIY Loupe/Finder for VDSLR

I'll try to get some pics up - but I'm very happy with it.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggest. Here is the second shoot with the T2i. Wanted to make one of those old grindhouse trailers.
Robert James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD