DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   60D features questions. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/494484-60d-features-questions.html)

Jeff Troiano April 12th, 2011 01:15 PM

60D features questions.

Ok, I'm sure there's a dozen post like this, and I hope everyone would indulge one more.

I'm a hobbiest, will dreams of indie cinema. I've been saving for a camera, and 7D was my target. I've been looming around the 7D and 5D forums for a while. I wanted to ask a few questions, about the 60D, with regards to my specific use, cause I hoped for some feedback from 60D users. Basically in looking to convince myself the 60D is the purchase for me, at this point in time.

My use will be 60% video 40% still (no matter what camera I get), while I'm primarily interested in video, I still have a big interest in learning more about taking still images. Would the 60D fit me in that regard? I know the 7D is a good still camera also.

The HDMI out, when it down grades to SD upon recording, how much is that a factor for you when filming? I plan on using external monitor (whether it's something like a 6 inch monitor or an zacuto eyepiece with their little 1 inch monitor).

But above all else, video quality, having not read a whole lot about the 60D, how is the video in comparison to 7D? I hope to use controlled light, with regards to indie cinema projects, as much as I can. But I like the idea of using good fast lenses, for low light situations. I work with a band, and plan to film some projects for them, they can included uncontrolled lighting situations.

And last, what would you recommend for an all around, walking around town, first lens purchase. I have enough money to get the body, and 1 lens. I'm leaning on the canon 17 - 55 2.8 zoom ($1100 lens). Don't know if I have the cash for both, just yet. Any other recommendation for first buy? I plan on 2 APS Lenses, the one mentioned and the 11-16 wide (forget what brand it is off hand).

As always, thank you for your time and attention in answering my questions. Im looking for reassurance the 60D is the correct buy, at this time. I'm thinking I could get in into this, and who knows what new offerings canon might have later on down the road this year.

Jeff

John Wiley April 12th, 2011 09:44 PM

Re: 60D features questions.

Unless you plan on shooting photos of sports in the rain, or a lionhunt during a duststorm, then the 60D will be sufficient for stills.

It has exactly the same video quality as the 7D and has no (apparent) overheating problems like the 7D does. The only thing the 7D has is the HD monitoring, though I can't comment on that because personally I don't use an external monitor.

As for the lenses, why not get the Tamron 17-50mm for $700 less? Then you'll save enough to get the Tokina 11-16mm or another different lens as well.

Zhong Cheung April 13th, 2011 02:51 AM

Re: 60D features questions.

I too am interested in how the external monitoring output on the 60d is. It seems silly that it's not outputting at 1080p or even 1080i, but drops it way down. That said, my external monitor is no HD external monitor, so it can't support the extra resolution anyways.

I have a couple models of two different 8" Lilliput monitors at 800x600. Will this be sufficient for focusing by eye? That means no fancy features like zooming in 5x or 10x to check focus or peaking or anything like that. Thanks!