DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   ultraCOMPACT vs CPM Film Tools... OR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/494706-ultracompact-vs-cpm-film-tools.html)

Daniel Dayani April 17th, 2011 06:57 PM

ultraCOMPACT vs CPM Film Tools... OR?

hey guys theres talk about both of these, but i hope to hear from experience. I have the money to get the Redrock rig and some (about $1000), but feel that getting an expensive rig wont make me a better shooter, and it wont transform shots into movie quality production. so, i am looking at the indisystems ultraCOMPACT, which generally has great reviews and especially loved for its price. then i am looking at the not so reviewed CPM Tools Flyer Shoulder Mount. either one is under $500 so i can cope with that. Which one would you guys go for? i know its a hit or miss with the indisystems rig, but i guess i am willing to take that gamble :). and if you honestly think investing in the redrock is that much worth it then lemme know why, i would generally only buy them used on ebay and they dont come up that often!. i am going to be using these rigs for short films and documentary style shooting...thanks again!

here are the links

CPM FILM TOOLS
http://www.cpmfilmtools.com/DSLR_Fly...r%20-%2082.htm

INDISYSTEMS ULTRACOMPACT
http://www.indisystem.com/products/ultra_compact

Jon Fairhurst April 17th, 2011 07:27 PM

Re: ultraCOMPACT vs CPM Film Tools... OR?

Consider a "chest rig" rather than a shoulder rig.

I use "The Event" from RedRock, and I really like the chest pad approach. The problem with DSLRs and a shoulder rig is that the weight is so far forward that there's little weight on the shoulder, unless you add ballast behind you or use a side-mount EVF.

With a chest pad, you get true three point stability. Also, you can pull it away from the chest by an inch and lower it to your knees. That's not so easy with a big shoulder pad.

For hectic action, take a look at Shane Hurlbut's "man cam." You can see it on the first photo here:

Keeping It Small | Hurlbut Visuals

It's basically a plate with handles on diagonal corners. $40 for some aluminum square tube, some aluminum plate, a couple BMX grips, and a few nuts and bolts and you can build one with a drill, a wrench, and a screwdriver. You can't really pull focus with it. It's best for running around with a very wide lens.

A chest rig is better for use with a follow focus.

If you don't already have one, get the Hoodman x3 loupe. I prefer the Z-Finder quality, but you can't beat the HoodLoupe for the price. They have a nice bundle that includes the HoodCrane.

I haven't used IndiSystem products, so I can't comment on their quality. On a budget, you can use the handbuilt aluminum tube approach to try a bunch of setups to figure out what rig style is best for you. Such a rig doesn't tear down easily, and you can't just turn a thumbscrew to fine tune it, but you can get parts from Home Depot or Lowes and have a rig by this time tomorrow.

Daniel Dayani April 17th, 2011 07:52 PM

i was actually using a variation of the "chest rig" with my Zacuto Striker, and felt that it did'nt necessarily do the job for me. i have been wanting to rent out the "event" rig but its hard to find. thanks for your input!

Jon Fairhurst April 17th, 2011 11:14 PM

The Striker looks like it would have different dynamics than the Event. The main differences are that the hand is low on the Striker, and there is only one handle. Also, the Event can accommodate a follow focus.

With two handles, I can rest the wrist of the focusing hand on the second handle. I only have to "let go" of the rig with that hand/arm when I really need to wind the focus from zero to infinity. For focus tracking, I can keep that point of contact.

And with the high hands, I'm pulling the weight of the camera directly into my chest. I can open both hands and by using only friction I can support the camera without it falling forward. With the chest rod at about 45 degrees, I get enough weight supported that it's pretty comfortable.

With the Striker, it looks like pulling back on the handle would rotate the camera down and to the side. On the Event, imagine your arms in position. The weight of your arms pulls your elbows down, and that pulls your hands straight back to the chest. Everything seems to hold itself together.

I have back problems and have been nursing a sore SI joint in my hip. Even with the camera out in front of me and my backpack behind me for two days straight, my back did fine. Sure, it was fatigued and tired, but I was never in any pain.

I can't say the same for my left hand. When not shooting, I'd cradle the camera with that hand, and I must have been holding on for dear life. I really beefed some of the tiny muscles that work the fingers. It's clear that I didn't do that while holding the handles normally. It was when I held things funny between my fingers.

So, don't just pay attention to the rig when in the shooting position. Figure out a good, comfortable carrying position too! :)