DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Non-IS lenses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/494728-non-lenses.html)

Lee Tamer April 18th, 2011 08:54 AM

Non-IS lenses?

I recently tried using my Tamron 18-200 lens for video, shooting handheld, and it looked horribly shaky. I've used my Canon 100mm L lens handheld and it looked fine. Is the only way to shoot handheld is with an IS Lens?

Jon Fairhurst April 18th, 2011 12:10 PM

Re: Non-IS lenses?

With a wide lens, you can shoot handheld without IS. It really depends on your intended style though as to whether it's smooth enough for you.

John Wiley April 18th, 2011 04:38 PM

I've never felt the need for IS on my lenses.

However I aslo never shoot anything over 50mm without some kind of support, be it a tripod or shoudlermount.

Travis Cossel April 19th, 2011 10:43 AM

If you're shooting with DSLR's handheld and you want it to look professional, you're going to want to use a lens with IS. I'm really steady handheld .. like rock-steady .. but no one is steady enough to remove micro-shakes.

Lee Tamer April 21st, 2011 08:44 AM

I shot a portion of a music video handheld with my 100mm Canon and a Cavision hand grip I have and it worked great. But my Tamron lens looked like hell.

Chris Westerstrom April 21st, 2011 04:27 PM

IMO, the difference in price is so great that you could invest in stabilization instead, like a solid shoulder rig (takes out the micro shake that alone...useful on lenses up to about 70 on a APSC sensor, or slightly more on a 5d) or monopod, or even better tripod.

Jonathan Bufkin April 21st, 2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom (Post 1641670)
IMO, the difference in price is so great that you could invest in stabilization instead, like a solid shoulder rig (takes out the micro shake that alone...useful on lenses up to about 70 on a APSC sensor, or slightly more on a 5d) or monopod, or even better tripod.

My sentiment exactly. Stabilization helps all of your lenses.

Jon Fairhurst April 21st, 2011 10:01 PM

I don't know that it's really needed on even moderate wides. I shot at NAB mostly with a 35mm lens on a 5D2 and handheld rig and my frames were nice and sharp when I was holding relatively still. I would generally swoop in and/or out of the framing that I wanted to keep things dynamic. I wasn't tripod steady, but the individual frames shot at 1/60 were crisp. The shots with an 85mm lens weren't as sharp, but I didn't have to ditch any clips. In the end, it all had a good, consistent look. As you move beyond 85mm - and when you shoot close to objects - things get touchier.

Tony Davies-Patrick April 23rd, 2011 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1640724)
If you're shooting with DSLR's handheld and you want it to look professional, you're going to want to use a lens with IS. I'm really steady handheld .. like rock-steady .. but no one is steady enough to remove micro-shakes.

All of my DSLR footage is shot with non-IS lenses or IS lenses with the IS swtiched to "Off".

Lee Tamer April 23rd, 2011 08:36 AM

Should I invest in a shoulder rig? I already have a glidecam

Jonathan Bufkin April 25th, 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Tamer (Post 1642183)
Should I invest in a shoulder rig? I already have a glidecam

I would for stability in those moments when dialogue is crucial. Look at the Manfrotto 561BHDV (monopod) or something like the Redrock Micro (shoulder mount).

J.J. Kim April 28th, 2011 12:38 AM

none of lenses have IS, but I never shoot hand held either.