Good video lens for my 7D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Good video lens for my 7D?

If you're just shooting video, don't forget to look at vintage MF glass. There's some great buys out there on old Nikon, Contax, Pentax, and M42 mounts (ironically, NOT Canon FD mounts). A friend gave me his Pentax 50/2, and it does very well wide-open. I'm now looking for a 50/1.4 to get an extra stop.

MF lenses give a lovely focus throw (around 180 degrees or more) compared to modern AF lenses, and most are built like tanks.

Although not a vintage lens, a great piece of glass for medium telephoto work is the Canon EF 85/1.8. Super low-light performance, great contrast and sharp as a tack. On the plus side, it also takes great stills. ;-)

My three go-to lenses that cover 95% of my productions now are the EF 85/1.8, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC, and the old Pentax 50/2. I'll be shopping for the Tonkina 11-16/2.8 very, very soon to give me a super-wide.

The Tamron is a great "walkaround" lens when I'm just out shooting various b-roll for my productions. It's nowhere near as sharp (or as fast) as a fast prime in any of its covered focal range, but more than good enough. I've shot a few productions with only that lens.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Houde View Post
I think what I should do is get the 16-35 (It is prime, it is super wide, and good in low light)...
Harrison, it sounds like you're confused on what a prime lens is. A prime is a fixed (single) focal-length lens. I suspect you might have thought a fixed- aperture lens was a "prime", but that's not the correct terminology.

So, you either have a zoom or a prime. Zooms are almost always slower, more expensive, and not as sharp as primes in the same lens families, due to the inherent compromises to get a multi-focal-length product. BUT, it's sure nice not to have to swap out lenses on some productions.

HTH...
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Major Player

The classic lens you are missing is also the Canon 70-200 F2.8L or F.4L .... incredible lens - both of them.

I actually went with the F4 after using the 2.8 because of the weight issue - I shoot in very remote locations abroad. On the 7D this will give you top end focal length and great DOF. Every pro I know with Canon will have either of these lenses!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Update: I have been looking and just cant find my dream lens lol..

My choice is now between the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
and the Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM AutoFocus Lens.

Both have great reviews on BH Photo. One is $500 more. One will not work if I do upgrade to the 5D Mk III when it comes out. One has a little more zoom. One is a prime lens.
WHAT TO DO?!! I hate decisions..
well, my friend, you have to make one :) shooting and especially editing is all about making decisions;
16-35 is an amazing lens, BUT it's full frame so on 7D it'll be like 24-55, I own one and to my eye it is a better lens than 17-55, BUT there is no IS, and IS is very helpful for many different situations, BUT if you planning to upgrade to MKIII it will not fit it, BUT i hear the roomers about MKIII for the last three years :)
if you know you will be upgrading to FF camera, and unless you're planning to keep your 7D do not buy EF-S lenses, but if you not sure when, or if not sure if you will, 17-55 mm IS f2.8 wil cover 90% of your shooting ,
best,
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Update: I have been looking and just cant find my dream lens lol..

My choice is now between the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
and the Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM AutoFocus Lens.

Both have great reviews on BH Photo. One is $500 more. One will not work if I do upgrade to the 5D Mk III when it comes out. One has a little more zoom. One is a prime lens.
WHAT TO DO?!! I hate decisions..

I think what I should do is get the 16-35 (It is prime, it is super wide, and good in low light) then I have my Sigma 30mm 1.4 which is a good medium thats crazy good in low light, and then I will get a 50-100 or 50-150 zoom. Thoughts? I am going to look for a 17-55 prime (full-frame) or something.. and then I probably dont have to take it off to much but I will still be getting a 50-150 or 70-200 or something.

wait a second there, the 16-35 is a crazy wide lens for the 5d, although the field of view will be narrower for your cropped sensor, you will still have the same characteristics of a wide angle lens within that field of view.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD