60D with T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

60D with T2i?

OK, so another cam is in my near future. Sigh. For the life of me, I cannot find a thread that answers if these two go together, but I'm guessing this has been answered before. Any-who...can anyone enlighten me on whether or not to stay with another 60D as second cam for weddings, video bios, music videos or if the T2i will cut it. Will I be able to match in FCP 7? Do I have to down-res the 60D to match the T2i? Will the colors match, low light...is ISO the same? I've seen some reviews that say it's hard to adjust white balance on the T2i-is this true? I will need to have fast, quick access. Will the learning curve be too much to learn the T2i? I've already smashed my brain to full with learning my 60D...I ain't no spring chicken! This stuff doesn't come as quickly to me as it used to!

It would be so nice if this combo could work, as the cost of T2i+lens = 60D+no lens. But, if it means hours and hours more of me finagling in post to get them to match, and missed shots because I'm fussing with too many deep menu settings, then it may not be worth the few extra hundred buckaroos.

Thanks for any input.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 60D with T2i?

The videoquality between the 60D and T2I is identical, the biggest difference is the lcd is fixed on the t2i and the location of the buttons is a bit different as well. Adjusting white balance on a t2i requires some steps, you can use the whitebalance presets if you need to set you wb quickly but I found that using a exposdisc gives me the best results (if time allows) Otherwise I just stick to the presets.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you have any footage of the two mixed? Or anyone else out there willing to share?
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You may want to consider the T3i as well.

It is identical to the T2i but has an articulated screen just like the 60D and a usefull feature of 3X-10X digital zoom which is actually very usefull in the 3X-5X area (not so much above that though).

Both the T2i and the T3i have full stop ISO increments (100, 200, 400, and so on) and unfortunately they lack the less noisy 160, 320, 640 etc ISO settings.
Also they lack Kelvin WB. That's why they say it is hard to white balance. You can either use the presets (Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Tungsten, etc) or make a two step custom white balance where you take a picture of something that is supposed to be white and tell the camera to use that image to make a custom WB. It is the stupidest way to do a custom WB among all the digital cameras I've seen but you will have to live with that.

Of course you can use the famous Magic Lantern firmware and turn the T2i (T3i is not supported yet) into a fully featured professional video camera, solve the ISO and WB limitations and gain several other usefull features like auto rec resume, focus peaking, false colors and many many more . Check out the magic Lantern threads for more info.

However the T2i is suceptible to overheating while the T3i is expected to be equal to the 60D in that regard (i.e. will not overheat).

Image quality is absolutely identical between the 7D, 60D, T2i and T3i given you use exactly the same settings.

In a nutshell, if you have the money, go for another 60D. if money is tight and you can live with the few limitations or you are willing to install the ML firmware (no reason not to) go with the T2i. Middle of the road decision, the T3i.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Major Player

I regularly mix 7d and t2i, the footage is VERY close, in fact, i tend to find that any diferences are down to different lenses.

Id bet if put the same lens on a 7d, 60d and t2i, match the setting (mafic lantern on t2i is HUGE help in this regard) that you woulndt be able to tell them apart.

All of the recent weddings on my vimeo page are 7d and t2i, i probably wouldnt be able to tell them apart if not for rememberng what each shot was from the day, looking back at the clips, 7d and t2i are virtually identical

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Isn't Magic Lantern+t2i the same as the 60D price-wise? So, I may as well just get the 60D then, right? Not having the white balances match sounds sucky. I'm not the quickest button setter I'm discovering to deal with getting the right WB, shutter, ISO, f-stop, etc.

Was just outside practicing with my Glidecam HD-2000:
For outside shoots with the Glidecam+Tokina 11-16, is it okay to just have the ISO set to auto and then set the focus to infinity, right? Then I check out the meter and adjust shutter/f-stop to get it in the middle of the meter? Or is there a consensus that the 60D in video mode underexposes by 2 on the meter? Have others found this to be true? I've been reading by others that this is what they have found.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Canon t2i body only at BH = $699.00

Canon 60d body only at BH = $ 999.00

Canon T3i body only at BH = $ 849.00

Magic Lantern for T2i is free download.

Latest Magic Lantern has zebras and false colors to get right on exposure.

Magic Lantern is in development for 60D, and hopefully T3i.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Oh, okay...I thought I read on some site that ML was $200...well, that's good to know then. Hmm, that t2i is lookin mighty temptin. But, I wonder about the overheating issue. Some claim no issues at all, while others claim it's a real problem.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I have occasionally seen the overheat symbol. Two weeks ago I was shooting 60p for a film, and it came on. I finished the shot, and then I turned camera off for 5 minutes, while setting up next shot. Was fine and I didn't see it again that day. I shot a lot of 24p, and I am guessing I don't see it that much because of that.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Canon t2i body only at BH = $699.00
T2i @ Refurbished from Canon: $559.00

Canon Direct Store- EOS Rebel T2i Body Refurbished
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

At $559 refurbished it is hard to beat the T2i.

Actually you can get two of them for just a little more money than a single 60D.

If you are not going to shoot under the sun for over 30 mins you will probably not experience any overheating problems with it. If you do you will need a few minutes before it cools down and lets you shoot again.

Many people use the T2i for weddings and even though many of them have experience the overheating problem I've never heard of anyone saying that it really caused them trouble. If you are aware of the problem and prepared for it to happen you probably have a work around in hand.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

OK, so now it's down to learning curve. My man's not too keen on my disappearing again for the next month learning yet another camera. I'm at a toss up though, because of the extended video record time on the t2i with ML. I could put the t2i up front and leave it facing the bride with my Tamron 17-50, right?

Only $549, huh? Wow.

Does the t2i take the same batteries and cards as 60D. I'm assuming it takes the lenses fine.

Last edited by Lisa Maxwell; April 25th, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: additional equipment with t2i q's
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm seeing the t2i takes different batteries, and it looks like I won't be able to use the same SD cards, as the ones for the t2i will have magic lantern on them, if i'm getting this right. Oh my brain is so full! I feel like it's Thanksgiving and I ate WAY too much turkey, but it's my head that's full!

Hmm, so that ups the hidden costs of mixing the t2i with my 60D then considerably: minimum of 3 new batteries: $25 knock-off $50 Canon x 3=$75-150,
SD cards 16Gig $28 Transcend x2= $56 +Sandisk $48x1=$104
+$150
=$204-$254

Hmm, that's bringing them a bit closer now. Even though ML sounds wonderful, I'm thinkin the 60D is gonna win out since I already took that plunge for my first "DSLR" (well, EVIL, but whatever...).

Good grief! I'd better get out there and shoot some amazing stuff or I'm in for some major buyer's remorse!
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I have the T2i, it will overheat even when not in the sun. It seems to overheat more in high humidity, which is all summer in the Northeast. It will vary, but can overheat within 20 minutes, sometimes 40. With Magic Lantern, the correct version will allow the LCD screen to be turned off and allow over 80 minutes without overheat. Magic Lantern is tricky to install, and there are many revisions, and the "mainstream" one doesn't have the lcd screen off feature or auto-restart. However, once you figure it out it's great software. And the SDHC card with Magic Lantern on it will work fine on the 60D without causing any problems, so you don't need separate cards for each camera. The 60D uses LP-E6 batteries, the T2i uses LP-E8. The Pearstone brand of these batteries are cheaper than Canon and work just as well.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info...just bought another 60D. And batteries. And cards.

Wow. OK, need to go out and get some more practice now!!!!!!! Before this high wears off and my credit card statement arrives!

Yikes!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD