transcode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Trustee

transcode

Hey guys
Thought my premeire elements 8 would cope with the 60d full hd, it does but when i add effects and colours and such it bluscreens and green screens and crashes so i have to make the jump quick to transcode, do i use mpeg streamclip or ? to add to my 1080ix1440 hv40.so i can work smooth, if i use the transcoder do i just transcode the full hd to full hd in the transcoder as i dont want 720p!!! when i transfer my media through my card reader to computor from my sd card, do i put one clip or all of them at the same time through the transcode process, do i need to know anything else important?? can someone walk me through the process quick??? thanks steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: transcode

can anyone bite??
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I hate to sound like a Cineform fanboy but Neoscene is soooooo good for transcoding

I think NeoHD will resize thing too... download a trial and see how you go
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Laurence will try
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I have been using NewBlue's Upshift now for 3 seasons...it converts AVCHD into MPEG2 "m2t" files at 50mbps and the results for me were way better and way easier than Neoscene (it's a tad cheaper too)

The end result, to my eyes, seems to produce a slightly sharper file than the original too!!!

The resultant files run on my DuoCore machine effortlessly with super smooth preview so it's my choice.

Both have trial downloads so why not explore both????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks chris, so the 60d mov files will transcode ok with new blue!! and you say it will keep the quality of the full hd files? the only other option is to get cs5 but im used to the prem 8 and i get around quick without learning cs5 unless its similar to prem 8 as both are adobe!! thanks steve
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Chris i have downloaded trial newblue upshift and it wont accept mov files to transcode?? steve
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Darn!! I have never tried it with MOV's ..sorry about that ..Canon files are of course, AVCHD but wrapped in a MOV container...I really would have expected it to be able to handle the 60D files.

Sorry to lead you up the garden path!!! Guess you need to use Neoscene??? I had both, hence the suggestion...Neoscene will do MOV as far as I know!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Major Player

The book says they're h264 files wrapped into mov, not AVCHD. Are you sure you're talking about the 60d, Chris?

Now I need to go check... sort of like knowing your car is locked, but someone asks if it is and suddenly you're not sure.

I hate getting old.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

You and me are in the same boat so to speak. Here's what I've been doing:

Use mpeg streamclip (I believe it's free) to convert your H.264 files from your 60D to Apple ProRes 422 (LT)-oh wait, you don't have FCP? Oy, you're gonna have to invest in a good NLE I'm afraid. Well, any-who I'll keep going if anyone else needs to know...

I record in 24p at 1920x1080 NTSC-so in PAL land this may be different.

Convert your 60D files and your HV40 files (if you wanna use the multiclip functionality) in mpeg streamclip:
List, Batch List, Add files, export to QT, set destination folder, compression: Apple ProRes 422 (LT), Quality 100%, 1920x1080 (unscaled), UNcheck interlaced scaling and deinterlace video and any others, press To Batch, Press Go.

Voila...it processes your files. Bring 'em on in to FCP and start editing to your heart's content! If you have the power, RAM and storage and you're going to be doing a lot of graphics & filters you may want 4444, but it's processor intensive and makes humongous files.

Anyway, this is what I've been doing so far. May change as I keep learning. Or if someone pipes in and says I'm doing it completely and utterly wrong! Ha! Well, it's worked the first couple o'times anyway.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You can use Avids DNxHD in streamclip on PC or ProRES on Mac.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Hi Lisa thanks, I think I will buy neoscene as it seems the best around. I will try mpeg stream first. I have a high spec computer but only premier elements 8 (which I'm used to, but need to upgrade more pro), the hv40 1080x1440 is a doddle so it's only the mov files to transcode then bring to the time line. The newblue won't accept mov files I've tried , so will experiment with neo or mpeg stream. Thanks for your time everyone.
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Trustee

Cheers matt, thanks all, no doubt I will be back as arnie says, cheers steve
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Lisa I'm loving the 60d with hv40! How u finding it? I like the 60d in just neutral with hv in cine ode 25p and + on custom settings, also standard on 60d with tv mode in daylight hv goes well!! When you adjust your exposure on the metre bar do you centre it or stop down one? Tell you what though you have to be quick to frame set exposure focus and keep steady!! But I think it's worth it!! Steve sunny England
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, I'll have my first test run with them both on Thursday. Just filming a local elementary school concert (PTO hired me to do it and I love those kids!) but it'll give me a good chance to see how well they integrate. Have two weddings in June I'm so excited about! Just getting them to match is gonna be my greatest challenge. I did go ahead and get two 60D's, but still want a third angle for weddings. We shall see how it goes!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD