Macro Shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Macro Shooting

I want to be able to shoot really close up on objects but cannot do this with the lenses I currently have:

Canon 24-70mm
Tokina 11-16mm
Canon 50mm
Canon 70-200mm

What wiould you suggest? Are there attachments I can bolt onto my existing lenses or should I buy a purpose built macro lens?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Macro Shooting

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...acro-lens.html
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

One thing to consider is how you like to shoot close stuff. Some want to shoot insect eyes (get the Canon 65 1-5x Macro). Others film normally and occasionally shoot a hand, a ring, a written page, or a small clue. A dedicated 1:1 macro, like a Canon 100mm is probably the ticket.

On the other hand, you might like to push perspectives. Maybe you focus on a candle on a table that is very close to the camera, then rack focus back to the actor. In that case, ensuring that all your lenses can focus close is a good goal. I'd go for ZE 50/2 and 100/2 Makros to have my every day lenses focus close. They only do 1:2 magnification (which is fine for "clue" shots), but they have f/2 speed, excellent focus rings and great performance.

You can get an extension tube to give your existing lenses closer focus, but you'll get slower, softer performance. You can also get macro adapter lenses, but these can be exceptionally milky. Of course, that milky look could fit a specific look or mood, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the Canon 100mm Macro, sometimes with extension tubes.

If you want to get closer get the Canon 65mm Macro.

I find the 100mm Macro is great for non macro shots and it no w lives in my lens case, where as the 65mm is a specialty lens.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks guys
Tim Davison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD