ND Filters suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ND Filters suggestions?

Hey guys,

So I bought this cheap nd filters kit off of ebay which conists of a ND2, ND4, ND8 filters for the price of 15$ for my 60D. For that price I wasn't expecting much but I gave it a try. As expected they were not of the best quality. It gives too much of a red tint to the footage. The ND2 alone is not that bad but when you put all three together is just ridiculous, it's as if I put a red filter in front of the lens.

So do you guys have any suggestions as to which kind (brand etc) of NDs I should use? Obviously I'll need filters that won't change (or not much) the color or overall quality of the image. I'm open to faders too even though they are a little more expensive.

Thanks!
Anas El-Biad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: ND Filters suggestions?

Ive heard nothing but good things about B&W and thats who I plan on getting my NDs from as well.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah I've seen a 0.6, 0.9, 1.2 nd kit from Tiffen on B&H for 41.95$ I don't know if they would be any good for video in terme of quality/color etc? I guess they would be better than the ones I bought anyway.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm trying the variable ND fader version, two filters that rotate to go from min effect to max effect. Seem okay so far. They are all prices/quality from $60 to $250 or more. Get the size that will fit the largest lens you will ever have, and then get a complete set of step up adapters to fit the filters onto your smaller lens.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I just have an ND 0.9 and would like to add an ND 1.8 for timelapse. I don't see much of a need for one or two stop increments. The ISOs (100, 160, 320, 640, 1250) of the camera are good enough that I just need to get things in the right range and adjust the camera from there.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, any other suggestion is welcome.

Jon, 0.9 would be the equivalent to ND8 I guess? If so, it's really not enough when shooting on a sunny day with the aperture wide open (f1.8). I put all three filters (nd2, nd4, nd8) one in front of each other and it's barely enough add to that the red tint.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yeah, that's why I recommend a six stop filter as well. I just haven't purchased one yet.

Though frankly, I don't generally shoot wide open outside. My main use is to get blur on timelapses. And on a timelapse, I often shoot at f/16 or so.

In any case, a three stop and six stop ND have real value. I don't sweat one stop increments.

Also, you can use a polarizer to reduce light a bit further when you run out of ND. :)
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon.

So the red tint that my NDs give is mostly due to the low quality of the filters right? Or is it a common problem with ND filters?
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
I'm trying the variable ND fader version, two filters that rotate to go from min effect to max effect. Seem okay so far. They are all prices/quality from $60 to $250 or more. Get the size that will fit the largest lens you will ever have, and then get a complete set of step up adapters to fit the filters onto your smaller lens.
Variable NDs work find for wide focal lengths, but they are terrible on mid to long focal lengths due to double-image and loss of resolution. I just tossed mine and replaced it with a set of B+W multicoated NDs that cost me a fortune but work very well.
Doug McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Major Player

I got the LCW vari-ND and I hate it. I went with the 82mm version with step down rings for all my lenses so its compatible with everything. No matter the lens, either prime (28, 35, 50, 85) or zoom (24-105, 70-200) I get that stupid X after only 3-4 stops max. So yes technically it will cut 8+ stops of light, but only 3-4 are usable. What a rip. The Genus version appears to be from the same manufacturer. I've debated trying the pricier Singh-Ray or just getting 2 or 3 Tiffen IR's that supposedly won't cut resolution or funk with color. I shoot out in bright light quite often so some sort of ND is a vital part of my kit. For now I'm making do with the LCW. I'm going to be in NYC in a few weeks - so I'll be heading to B&H to find a better option.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug McEwen View Post
Variable NDs work find for wide focal lengths, but they are terrible on mid to long focal lengths due to double-image and loss of resolution. I just tossed mine and replaced it with a set of B+W multicoated NDs that cost me a fortune but work very well.
Could you elaborate a bit further on this matter please? I'm thinking of buying this to...
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Tourist

I purchased a 77mm Genus variable ND for use with a Canon T3i. It worked fine with the EF 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 lens and the EF 24-70mm f2.8 lens. But when I tried it with an EF300mm f4 lens, the image quality was totally unusable with massive loss of resolution.

I have seen it posted elsewhere that varying light loss by stacking two polarized filters with their polarizations nearly 90 degrees apart, causes significant optical issues. My experience was that the degradation was acceptable at ordinary focal lengths, but completely unacceptable in the telephoto range.

My new B+W 77mm NDs tested with perfect performance (zero degradation) even with the EF 300mm f4 lens.
Doug McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

probs best this is what i am planning to do.

been said early. Get a 77mm or 72mm fader and get step up rings. nd2-nd4

and different rings.

seems the best answer :)
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Inner Circle

If not 82mm. Many wides have 82mm threads.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #15
Regular Crew

good point.

do you buy faders bigger size than add step up rings etc?

i am looking at some rubber lens hood look great.
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD