Corrupt file is gonna ruin my sleep for the week. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Corrupt file is gonna ruin my sleep for the week.

Typical. The best of shot of the day was ruined. In fact the best shots. 5 minutes long of a clip. i didnt even press stop because the footage I was getting was gold. And at the end of the day, that is the only file thats corrupt. This was a big job for me and this is a major problem.

The file is 1.68 gb in size. It doesnt have a thumbnail. When i try to play it it plays the audio only. No video.

I tried playing with VLC player too and that doesnt work. I dont know what I can do. I tried to copy the file back onto the card to see does it play on the camera but the camera wont play any file copied back onto the card. I dont know why that is. Cineform crashes when trying to deal with the file.

Can anyone help to shed some light on what I can do?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Corrupt file is gonna ruin my sleep for the week.

Sorry for the following but I got to ask...

I don't understand what you mean by " i didnt even press stop". Did the clip just fill up the memory card? Turn off camera while it was still recording? Battery die?

Did you get any kind of error message?
Could you ever play the clip back in the camera?
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Burk.
What i meant was that the footage i was getting was so good i just let it run. i didnt seem to have any problem at the time in relation to batteries etc. that I remember.

I have since tried a recovery program and it seems to work believe it or not.
Im now trying to find a free way to do it. Problem just went from defcon 5 to defcon 1
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I can't offer any useful advice unfortunately but I can offer some empathy because recently I had a similar situation. Every single shot I took all day was in focus... except for the money shot at the end!

Grrrrrrr
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Ger,
what was the method you used to recover the file? Good to know for future situations like this!
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Major Player

ok guys,
I stumbled upon this site via google,

Grau GbR Hardware & Software Solutions - HD Video Repair Utility

It lets you download a trial by which it shows you the first half of your file.
Very hard to refuse paying the reasonable €35. This gives you 5 fixes to 5 seperate files.
So i have 4 left.
You can buy and unlimited use one for 99 i think.

Basically it uses a healthy file for comparison to the damaged one and based on this fixes the damaged header or footer or whatever. Its easy and in my case did the job.
The fixed file still had some codec issues, for example cineforms own conversion panel still couldnt convert it. It still had no thumbnail either.
But this time Adobe media encoder was able to both import it & convert it to the cineform codec.

This seems to be a very common problem. On Googling my issue I came to realise how common this particular type of damaged file is.
Im surprised this software isnt more readily available at this stage.

HTH
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD