Rode Videomic on 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode Videomic on 7D?

Please forgive me and be gentle with the flaming....

I have searched all over and I can't seem to get an answer to this question.

I have a 7D (duh) and would like to get clean audio, not perfect, just clean.

- Can I merely plug it into the 7D and use it, and get clean audio?

I do not want to use any hack, just plug'n play.

I do have a Zoom H2 which I like, but it doesn't do a good job for those time when people don't sit still....

Thank you for your help.

Tony
Tony Reidsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rode Videomic on 7D?

The Rode has been designed to work with DSLR's so yes - just plugin.

The new Pro version is also a large improvement on the original videomic but I am not sure what you mean by clean?
Without any audio controls on the 7D, the Rode picks up everything and in noisy environments can sound overtaxed.
It's fine for background audio and ambient. Interviews.... not really.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks.... I am going to do interviews.. I guess I'll go another route.

Tony
Tony Reidsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

key to getting good audio is getting a mic in the best possible position, I use the RVM on the 7d and it's great, for walk around, pick up someone saying something.
But i only use it for reference sound for interviews. It's far better to record with a lave or connect it to your zoom and get it closer to your subject
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Sennheiser MKE 400 and a lav mic with 20ft cable (about $47) from Radioshack. Both work really well & just plug straight into the 7D, but not at the same time.

You can also buy low cost recorders from RS. For example if you have 3 people you are interviewing you can have 3 low cost lav mics with 3 pocket recorders. Make sure they are all switched on, there is also an on/off switch on the mic. Start your interview with a hand clap (warn the interviewee what you are about to do, you can also get a verbal model release on camera at this time) to sync in post. I started with the Rode Videomic, my Sennheiser is incomparably better and smaller with all switches on the outside.

Hope this helps, also check out the audio section on this forum.

Regards & happy shooting,
Doug.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; May 21st, 2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Addition
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
The Rode has been designed to work with DSLR's so yes - just plugin.

The new Pro version is also a large improvement on the original videomic but I am not sure what you mean by clean?
Without any audio controls on the 7D, the Rode picks up everything and in noisy environments can sound overtaxed.
It's fine for background audio and ambient. Interviews.... not really.
Do you know if the Rode Stereo Video Mic is better than the Rode Pro Video Mic?

Last edited by Marc Brackhahn; May 21st, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM   #7
New Boot

I also tried a shotgun type mic with 60D.. but the sound quality just doesn't cut it.
Jackson Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Get the new one. It has the +20 gain to keep the amps clean on the 7d. The old one will give you hiss once you get the levels up.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Brackhahn View Post
Do you know if the Rode Stereo Video Mic is better than the Rode Pro Video Mic?
If you need a mic to pick up conversation dialog directly, you will need a shotgun mic like VideoMic that reject side and rear noise. Stereo VideoMic is omni-directional which is good for recording with ambient sound, nature sound, or music. it gives a higher fidelity.

I have Rode videomic for sale. We are RODE authorized dealer in the US. It comes with 10 year warranty.

RODE VideoMic Directional Condenser Microphone | L.A. Color Online

I can also offer a discount for DVINFO member. Please contact us at info@lacolorOnline.com for more info.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #10
Major Player

excellent answer
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
If you need a mic to pick up conversation dialog directly, you will need a shotgun mic like VideoMic that reject side and rear noise. Stereo VideoMic is omni-directional which is good for recording with ambient sound, nature sound, or music. it gives a higher fidelity.

I have Rode videomic for sale. We are RODE authorized dealer in the US. It comes with 10 year warranty.

RODE VideoMic Directional Condenser Microphone | L.A. Color Online

I can also offer a discount for DVINFO member. Please contact us at info@lacolorOnline.com for more info.
Thanks Taky, I assumed stereo would always be better than mono.
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

No... they serves different purpose so not one is better over the other. =)
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bailey View Post
I have the Sennheiser MKE 400 and a lav mic with 20ft cable (about $47) from Radioshack. Both work really well & just plug straight into the 7D, but not at the same time.

You can also buy low cost recorders from RS. For example if you have 3 people you are interviewing you can have 3 low cost lav mics with 3 pocket recorders. Make sure they are all switched on, there is also an on/off switch on the mic. Start your interview with a hand clap (warn the interviewee what you are about to do, you can also get a verbal model release on camera at this time) to sync in post. I started with the Rode Videomic, my Sennheiser is incomparably better and smaller with all switches on the outside.

Hope this helps, also check out the audio section on this forum.

Regards & happy shooting,
Doug.
Sorry Doug, but the Sennheiser 400 is not a better mic than the Rode. Not even close in quality. I own both and have compared the audio. The only advantage of the Sennheiser is the small size. That's it. I am not the only person to say this as well. Most of the well know DSLR shooters will tell you the same thing. Don't mean to flame you, just wanted to put my .02 cents in on this.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Re: Rode Videomic on 7D (versus other options)

Lots of info about this in the audio section on DVinfo. Judge the sound quality for yourself - cue Chad's excellent comparative film!

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM   #15
New Boot

Andy, that video link was excellent. Chad did a great job. He reaffirmed, for me, my decision to use the Rode mics. The sound produced seems to be the most natural to me. It would be nice if Rode had an auto shutoff/on. Kind of hard to do through a A/V jack I guess. Sometimes I forget to turn mine on or turn it off (yes, I know --use headphone and this will not happen). A price for run and gun shooting I guess. Batteries are cheap.......

On thing I would add is how easily the silicon bands break on the Rode. I am careful with mine and they still seem to break periodically. I have tried alternatives to the Rode bands however everything I try "squeaks" when the mic moves.

:-)
Andy Popple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD