DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   why am i worried with 60d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/496218-why-am-i-worried-60d.html)

Steve Bleasdale May 21st, 2011 12:13 PM

why am i worried with 60d

Just done two weddings yesterday and today, 60d and hv40, so ok im frustrated today its hard work runnin and gunnin, get there frame, meter bar sort exposure, check no shake, iso check, ready shoot, oh no wheres the groom gone, my lad hv40 you ok dad? sound isnt it, good wedding! no i say whilst running around like a mad man with the 60d....while he points and shoots,,, is it worth it?????
oh wait gets home and wow yes wow the footage oh i forgot about that!!! tremendous but why do i feel its not right looking through the loupe, for some reason i check to many times because it dont look right?? Is it the loupe/magnifyer making me feel this way, aslo it hurts your b.....y eyes?
But when i upload the footage looks great!
Just something puzzling me at times in the church say i moved a touch 10 yards away from where i was, yes do all the checks again but had a feeling the footage looked a little yellowish? the colour was picture style neutral, custom wb, but auto looked better? Tried kelvin and notched it down from 5200 to 3700 but it still looked golden.
Is it me or is the 60d giving a golden colour like daylight mode on other cams. ?? Then again in the midst of it all did i really check out the colour of the church because my son said it did have a yellowy tinge to the church or question is the full hd so good it really did give the proper colour today!! cant fathom it. . steve

Colin Rowe May 21st, 2011 01:57 PM

Re: why am i worried with 60d

Steve, you have got to ask yourself, did I feel this way before I started using DSLRs to shoot weddings. Were you more comfortable using video cams ??

Steve Bleasdale May 21st, 2011 02:31 PM

To be honest Colin your right i was very comfy using my camcorders!! so what you are saying if i stick to dslr i have to get used to the new workflow!!! Thats my fourth this year and its bloody hard with dslr mate...

Colin Rowe May 21st, 2011 02:38 PM

I Know Steve, I tried it. I now use a couple of Panasonic TM900 camcorders alongside my EX1. We all know just how much hard work goes into a wedding, my philosophy has always been, keep it simple and straight forward. I didnt mind using the 550D for infill and cutaways, but as for using one as A cam, definately not. God, the money you can spend in this game!!!!!!

Steve Bleasdale May 21st, 2011 02:57 PM

Colin i totally agree, im working harder now the last four with the 60ds than ever, why?? i have great bookins, everything is smooth, and now im using a different workflow to please whom? my dslr craze? Ok so i like the blurred look you know that look every dslr cameraman craves, did i get the chance today to use it, twice!! rack focus, no time, slider no time, glidecam left in the car, hey love hold it a minute while i get my glidecam set up? no chance pheeeeew im knackered? hehe
Dslr not for weddings just for cameramen with loads of time sorry folks? Two days of pure utter no enjoyment, camcorder here i come!!

Colin Rowe May 21st, 2011 03:06 PM

If you are going back to using camcorders again, check out the Panasonic TM900, awesome little camera, that shoots 1080p. Few clips here from my sons wedding, 3 weeks ago. Go to the Vimeo page for higher quality

Stelios Christofides May 21st, 2011 03:16 PM

Yes I also agree. The DSLRs are really trying hard to be camcorders but can never be Using camcorders for video is a pleasure, using DSLRs is a nightmare. I bought a 60D just to use it in supplementary work but I would never use it as my main camera. Maybe the next generation of them might be better. Cheers to my (fun to use) Z5.

stelios

Steve Bleasdale May 21st, 2011 03:29 PM

That was good Colin i dont see no difference between that footage and dslr footage!! low light looked good also.... is that the one up from the pana tm/sd 700? last year?
Im just checking past two days footage at moment, i swear i have done loads of matching tests to 60d and hv and its totally bloody different??/ bugger the 60d is all golden??? wb sorted all day so? ah well im restin two days and start editing tuesday, steve

Colin Rowe May 21st, 2011 04:02 PM

The TM900 is this years upgrade of the TM700, which is also a cracking little camera.
Dont know about your white balance problem, but these things can normally be sorted out in post. It will all seem clearer to you in a couple of days.

Steve Bleasdale May 21st, 2011 04:32 PM

Cheers pal night

Steve Bleasdale May 22nd, 2011 03:39 AM

Anyone chip in as to why my footage looks a little golden on the 60d footage? wb auto golden? wb kelvin 3200 golden? wb custom still golden? is this the cameras colour? or do i have to go really flat and get rid of the glow? outside not a problem matched up with hv40 fine but inside?

Colin Rowe May 22nd, 2011 06:41 AM

Steve.
I am sure you are aware of kelvin values, ie
2700 to 3300 Tungsten light
5600 + Outdoors/natural light.
Is there any chance that you left the wrong setting in for interior/exterior shots.
Sorry, just re read your post, it was the same on preset and custom settings.
The only way you are likely to get a golden glow, is by using an exterior/daylight setting when shooting under artificial lighting.
Got me baffled.

Steve Bleasdale May 22nd, 2011 02:22 PM

Colin sorry been busy... Checked and re thought, i had auto wb, so changed it as forgot, then went to kelvin and it was 5200 normal so went to 3200 as that looked good to the eye and similar to the screen on the hv40, so did a bit of that then thought 10 mins later this dont look good, so took a picture of my white balance t/shirt custom set it and again turned out goldish.. Been editing today and the minute i turn saturation down in post it matches the hv40 nice with a little brightness down a notch so it must be neutral is still to sharp as picture style, so i think i need to drop saturation down on the cam settings rather than just use standard neutral?? dont get me wrong if it was all 60d footage it would look lovely but i suppose i am matching the hv40 and this opens my eyes wide open that the 60d is far superior colour and footage wise?? what do ya think colin?

Keith Betters May 22nd, 2011 06:15 PM

Maybe the church has yellow or golden stained glass windows. I have been in different churches, and sometimes the light changes depending on the glass or paneling that the church has up. Not for sure, just a suggestion.

Steve Bleasdale May 23rd, 2011 01:52 AM

Mmmmm maybe Keith, anyway will have drop saturation in post?? Cheers