What am I doing wrong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
New Boot

What am I doing wrong?

The quality and clarity of my videos have significantly decreased over the past few weeks. I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. When I first started shooting, I had the majority of the settings to default on my camera (T2i). Well my most recent video looks like complete garbage and I can't seem to figure it out.

Here is the first video I made. The colors seem pretty accurate and everything is clear.
YouTube - Dimension Mar 2011 - TMHS

Now this was my most recent video.
YouTube - Event 1, TPA Cup 2011 - TMHS

Can anyone give me any sort of leads as to what I am doing wrong? Shooting in 720 60p, shutter speed of 125 (Normally), using a 70-210 Canon FD lens.

Last edited by T.J. Bowman; May 24th, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
T.J. Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: What am I doing wrong?

What are the exact specs of your SD card(s)?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Trustee

One thing I see is a tremendous difference in daytime lighting conditions between those two samples. I didn't watch them all the way through but the first one evidenced daytime sunlight which is a very clear contrasty kind of light that renders colors well.

The second video appears to have been done on a rainy day, lots of wet ground evident, looks like even some "fog" or mist and I saw at least one person outside the fence holding an umbrella over his head. Both contrast (which affects apparent sharpness) and colors are muted, typical of foggy, rainy conditions.

I don't think anything is wrong with your camera and I don't really think you are doing anything wrong. Weather conditions will OFTEN affect the look of your images.

You mention using a 70-210 FD lens. Most comments I have seen on this on various forums is that adapted FD lenses do not always give acceptable results. Especially if your adapter has some optics in it so you can focus to infinity. Many report visible image degradation from this and it can easily account for the dramatic difference in look between the two segments.

It will ALWAYS tend to look better in sunlight or bright daylight but if the rainy day was not foggy as well that adapter and lens combination could easily account the very "misty" look.

My advice: Get either the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4 - 5.6 on sale at BH (reg $299) for $199 until mid June. Excellent inexpensive telephoto zoom for the price (I paid $214 for mine refurb), or even the Canon EF 70-200 f4L for $699.

I have both lenses and have never disliked the image quality and tonal values either lens gave me.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
New Boot

I am using a 16GB which is.. class 4 I think.

Well I would assume that the lighting certainly has an affect on things but it was a little extreme. It was not foggy at all, that's what I don't get. It is as if there was a layer of white put on to everything that I shot. I just wouldn't imagine that the lens has that big of an effect on the final product.

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it!
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

T.J. - How did you get such smooth "slow motions" shots. I editin Vegas and my slow-mo always looks tacky
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I assume you have an adapter to fit the FD lens to the camera, with a lens in it that allows focus to infinity. I am not happy with my experiences so far doing that, certainly at low apertures (1.4/2.8) on some lenses the sharpness is not great, so the picture is not great. Maybe your adapter has a lower quality lens that really struggles when the conditions are not great. If anyone knows who makes the best Canon FD adaptor with the best lens in it, I would like to hear it.

You need to do some manual shooting so you can compare your videos knowing what the camera settings were. What was your ISO? That is important, too
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

To me, it looks like second shot were:

1. Maybe shot in a different setting, like in neutral or super flat

2. Or the there was fog on the lens somewhere along the line from condensation.

3. and/or in post, you did something to gain or another level or color correcting setting.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. Bowman View Post
I am using a 16GB which is.. class 4 I think.
You really need to be using Class 6 cards, to be on the safe side.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert James View Post
T.J. - How did you get such smooth "slow motions" shots. I editin Vegas and my slow-mo always looks tacky
Hey Rob, I shot all of my footage in 60p. When in post, I slow it down to 30 (29.97). This gives it the smooth slow motion. You can also utilize plug ins like Twixtor which interpolate the frames.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. It seems I will just struggle until I buy some new equipment. None of my settings were drastically different. My ISO is usually just set to auto, so I don't really know where it was.

And I will look into getting better cards. Thanks for the tip!
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

It looks to me like the glass was fogged.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD