Lilliput DVI "fix" for blink issue does not work on 60D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Lilliput DVI "fix" for blink issue does not work on 60D?

Hi there,

As most of you probably know, most of the Canon DSLRs have this nasty issue of "blinking" on and off when you start/stop recording in your external view monitor. The only one that doesn't do this is the 7D, but the T2i, T3i, 5Dii, and 60D all have this blink issue.

Usually the monitor is connected via an HDMI cable and set on the HDMI monitor setting, which causes the blink issue. One popular fix was to set the monitor (in my case, the Lilliput 8" HDMI monitor which also has a DVI mode) to DVI mode as shown here: YouTube - ‪Fixing the Blink problem on the Lilliput monitor with the 5d 60d and t2i. - DSLR FILM NOOB‬‏

I tried this, but when I switch to DVI mode, it says "no input signal" then the screen goes blank. It's the same when I do the other inputs such as Video1, Video2, PC, etc. They all say "no input signal" and go blank. The only one that acquires a signal is HDMI.

A further problem is that once you hit record, the LiveView mode (which seems to have the correct aspect ratio) gets squashed into a long and flat image...totally wrong aspect ratio. Any fix for this and my blink issue, even using DVI mode?

Thanks!
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lilliput DVI "fix" for blink issue does not work on 60D?

The blink issue is a DHCP issue (copy protection) when the camera changes out of live view into record (because all other Canon besides the 7 have only one processor and the 7 has 2 which one is dedicated to the secondary output when in video mode).

DHCP is the headache of the pro AV industry when using HDMI.

when an HDMI video instance occurs it polls for a HDCP "key" from video source (to verify that its a legit device and not a recorder) this little transaction is the culprit of the "Blink", even tho the monitor can set to keep the video stream open, the camera itself has to disrupt it because its EDID settings have changed making previous DHCP stream no longer valid, and having to re-issue a DHCP key.

at least thats how I understand it.

Since DVI doesnt use DHCP (mainly because it a video only format with out audio there i no copy protection required from the movie industry) which is why this works.
makes sense.

MIght be the particular version of the monitor you have vs what the guy on video has , I know that Lilliput has 2 or 3 different versions of each size monitor.

I have an 8" one as well, I will try this later on today to see what I get.

Will update when I test
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Lilliput DVI "fix" for blink issue does not work on 60D?

Yeah, thanks! The blink issue and even the squashed aspect ratio issue is explained clearly here:

However, I was told that DVI mode would fix the blink issue on the Lilliput, but when I tried it...not only does it not fix it, but I also no longer get a picture signal at all...so weird!

Furthermore, the squash issue is of even greater importance. It really is impossible to shoot when Live View shows one aspect ratio, then Record mode shows a different aspect ratio. This is on top of all the lost pixels to make room for letter and pillar boxing.

I have two different models of the 8" Lilliput, but only one of them has a DVI mode.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD