How to Fix a busted Letus Hawk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Trustee

How to Fix a busted Letus Hawk

I love / hate this LCD VF. you only get a couple fo adjustments in the screws before they will strip out. The solution ? epoxy :( but it works

DIY Quick Fixes For Your Busted Letus Hawk
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to Fix a busted Letus Hawk

I don't have a fix but I think it would be a good idea if you posted your experience on this DVinfo thread about Nino Leitner's review of viewfinders. He obviously didn't use the Hawk very much:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...omparison.html

I almost jumped at the B&H pricing to save $25 over the Z-Finder but on a second read of Nino's review, I saw a mention that you have to remove those screws to remove the Hawk from the camera. I am very glad I went with the Z-Finder.

Personally, I think the attachment is a significant design flaw ergonomically but even worse is that given what you've experienced, it's a significant and fundamental mechanical design flaw. A warranty doesn't fix that.

Given all that, I feel Nino's review was far too positive on the Hawk and you'll be doing DVinfo readers a great service to warn them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Trustee

After Nino did that review, Letus changed the mount to a quick release thats so-so. it works, but it does't hold the VF 100% snug to the camera. there is a 90deg bracket that holds the VF to the QR mount, 2 screws in the VF, 2 in the mount. The bracket is to accommodate different mounting positions. thanks for the suggestion, I'll go add it up over there.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice fix. As a gearhead, Epoxy and I go waaay back haha.

Anyhow, it's a damn shame such a gorgeous(and pricey) piece of kit ended up being a flop. I think with modern manufacturing techniques these sorts of problems should be a non issue. That, coupled with a company's ability to instantly gather all kinds of feedback about their product through means such as product review sites, reviews on online stores, and even communities such as this one, should make things like this obsolete anymore. You develop a produt, your testing shows it's solid, it goes out to the real world, real world use proves it's poorly designed, and you make the changes. In this particular case, it really is that simple.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems that with the great advances in tech that we've become used to, we've also become more acceptable of lesser quality products in general. We no longer demand that a company put out a solid product and refuse to buy it if it's not up to standards, we just groan and grudgingly reach for our wallets. Honestly, this applies to just about all walks of life these days it seems. Woah, major tangent there. Sorry.

Like I said, seems like a solid fix, and at least it's on the bottom so it's not super noticable.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD