DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Overheat and batteries? Is this normal for the t2i? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/497159-overheat-batteries-normal-t2i.html)

Robert James June 14th, 2011 02:08 PM

Overheat and batteries? Is this normal for the t2i?

I had the camera out last weekend and started getting overheating messages after about an hour of of and on shooting. I would turn it off for a few minutes and then it would be fine for another 10 and then the termometer display would flash again.

The weather was "mild & muggy", I'd say, but not super hot.

Also, on a battery note (to not start yet ANOTHER thread), I seem to lose battery power after about 25-30 minutes of shooting when battery life is listed as higher. Is this about right?

John Wiley June 15th, 2011 12:14 AM

Re: Overheat and batteries? Is this normal for the t2i?

25 minutes is very abnormal for the battery life. Are they genuine ones or cheap 3rd part ones? Even with my 3rd party batteries I get about 90 minutes out of each one.

Steve Game June 15th, 2011 01:11 AM

1 hour sounds about right. I think that the internal dissipation includes 'live view' time as the sensor is putting out full video whenever the LCD screen shows an image.
It is only a stills camera after all, with a novelty video capability.

Steve

Keith Betters June 15th, 2011 02:23 PM

The overheating sounds about right. I was shooting a wedding a few weeks ago, and they both start overheating around the 35 minute mark. I really didnt know what to do as the service ended up being about 55 minutes long. Since me and my wife use walkie talkies, I told her to turn hers off. We left it off for about 3-4 minutes. Then we turned hers back on, and mine off. I left mine off for only about 2 minutes. We did this twice for each camera, and we got through the service.

However, this TOO risky and scary when money is on the line and people have paid you to do a job. That's why at my next wedding, which is on July 2nd, I will have the t3i along with 2 more t2i's. I will no longer do just a 2 camera wedding. One reason being for creative shot purposes, the other reason being for the risk if one camera overheats or has to stop and start recording again. That's why I want the t3i and I steer as many people away from the t2i as possible. I love canon and have done some awesome work and made money with the t2i, but that is something that is not acceptable when you are getting paid. Again, living here in Texas during the summer the cameras get hot just during transport. The other day I was shooting the announcements for my church, and one of my t2i's starts to over heat after only 15 minutes. I believe because my truck was hot when I put the equipment in, and by time it really started to cool off I was already at the church.

I knew of the overheating problems when I got the cameras, but most people said about one hour before it would overheat. Nope, depending on the conditions, it could be as little as 15 minutes. So the t3i it is, plus the digital zoom, but thats another thread!!!

Robert James June 15th, 2011 04:59 PM

Wait? The t3i's DON'T overheat?

Sander Vreuls June 15th, 2011 05:06 PM

Supposedly it has to do with the LCD screen as well... So if you flip it out on the t3i it gets better cooling. Which makes me wonder, if you use an external screen on the 550D, does it overheat just as quick?

Keith Betters June 15th, 2011 06:56 PM

No, from all the reports that i read, the t3i does not overheat. Taky says he filmed all day with one and there wasnt one incident of overheating. I have scoured the internet looking for one report of overheating with the t3i. I have yet to find one. So, I guess canon has fixed the problem starting with the 60D and then the t3i. The articulating lcd screen has alot to do with it, because both the 60d and the t3i have the articulating screen.

With the t2i, magic lantern it helps because it has a feature where you can turn off the lcd while recording. This really helps, I used it the other day and I filmed an hour without the overheating light ever coming on! But, I have to be honest, I have a problem with not looking at the lcd while recording. That seems rather odd, to not do that.

This is what I would like to ask anybody else out there. Has the t2i overheated while you had the lcd turned off for an extended period of time? Is it just a temporary fix?

Like I said it helped for about an hour, but on Saturday I have any event that might be between 2-3 hours. Will turning off the screen get me through this long event?

Paul Digges June 15th, 2011 07:58 PM

I've never had any problems with my 60D overheating and I shoot for several hour periods inside pretty warm venues. When I get out there during the summer and start shooting some of the automotive stuff I plan to shoot is when we'll really see how she does.