Warp Stabilize test with handheld shoot in Barcelona at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Warp Stabilize test with handheld shoot in Barcelona

Hi all. I shot this video while in Barcelona with my wife. We finally had a chance to take our honeymoon after being married for six years.

I've been wanting to give a good test to the new Warp Stabilize feature in CS 5.5 and figured this sort of guerilla style street filming would be the perfect opportunity.

I was curious to see how close to the floating Steadicam look I could get with two hands and one lens. Check out the results. I was pretty impressed. All feedback welcome!

Torrey Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Warp Stabilize test with handheld shoot in Barcelona

Looks to have done a much better job than the Steady Move Pro plugin I used a couple times. I was stoked to see this feature added. I haven't had any time lately to try it out though. Looks like it'll jump to the top of my list though haha.

Can't wait to get home and see this in HD. My poor laptop is ancient and can't do the HD videos haha.

It particularly seems to do a pretty good job of not totally destroying the picture quality like SMP did for me. Were these default settings or did you mess with it some?
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Digges View Post
It particularly seems to do a pretty good job of not totally destroying the picture quality like SMP did for me. Were these default settings or did you mess with it some?
Yeah I was very impressed that it didn't destroy the picture quality. It's very nice in that it usually has to do minimal cropping (on average 110-115%), because it's using some sort of implementation of the wave warp filter to stabilize things.

I did stock settings on most of the shots, but on some it took tweaking and fine tuning. It's a quick system to learn though, really not a complicated plugin at all.

If you tweak it too far you'll get very obvious ripple distortions in your footage where it's overcorrecting for the movement. So, the trick is to find a happy medium. If you look close you can see where some areas of the image warp in this video. What I like about it is most of the time, it's not distorting the areas of the image that your eyes are focused on, so it doesn't throw you out of the picture.
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Word, well I'm sold. I've seen some people on here say they weren't a fan, but it looks like it did the job pretty darn well to me. I think it's all a matter of taking the time to do it clip by clip. I've known some people to output their entire work area to a single clip and then apply grading or stabilization to that, which of course if there's any sort of variety in your shots isn't going to give satisfactory results.

Were render times alright?
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Render times were very reasonable unless I got into the advanced settings. Even then though, it wasn't bad. Yeah with any kind of stabilization you really have to isolate the exact segment you want. Clip by clip is essential.

Might as well not even waste your time if you're trying to apply one stabilize filter an entire baked down sequence of shots all at once.

What I really love about it is that it doesn't analyze the entire subclip like FCP's SmoothCam. i.e. When you apply SmoothCam it doesn't just analyze the clip you've selected, it analyzes the WHOLE video file. So you have to clip, export, reimport. A real pain.

Warp Stabilize analyzes only the clip segment you've selected, nothing more. It's fantastic.
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sweet, that's all good news to hear. Oh, and congrats on finally getting to go on your honeymoon! Looked like a pretty great trip. The video was really nice.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Major Player

I wonder how it compares to prodad? Prodad is pretty quick, warp stabilizer takes a couple runs to finalize?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD