DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   HDMI Output to Multiple TVs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/497276-hdmi-output-multiple-tvs.html)

Oliver Darden June 16th, 2011 03:04 PM

HDMI Output to Multiple TVs

Is there a way to to send the HDMI output on the t2i wirelessly to multiple TVs?

I'm filming in a restaurant / bar setting and the owner wants to show (real-time) what I am filming on all the TV's in the restaurant. He has Panasonic HVX200 and we were able to use the component output and it worked perfect tapping into his system, but I'm not sure about the ti2.

All the TVs in the restaurant always play the same station, or can play whatever DVD he wants all at the same time, so I assume they are all connected somehow; I just need to find a way to output the t2i to his setup wirelessly.

Jon Fairhurst June 16th, 2011 04:03 PM

Re: HDMI Output to Multiple TVs

Gefen makes HDMI distribution amps, but their stuff tends to be pricey. I'm sure that there are additional sources HDMI DAs.

In general, you should go for a DA, rather than a splitter. It should require power and have a buffered input and active outputs.

Oliver Darden June 17th, 2011 12:04 AM

Thanks Jon, will check that out.

Roger Keay June 22nd, 2011 12:47 PM

You have 3 problems to solve:
1. If your t2i is like my 60D, plugging an HDMI connection into the camera will kill the screen. You need an external monitor with a loop through for the HDMI connection.
2. You want to have a wireless HDMI connection from the camera to the house A/V system. Geffen makes an EXT-WHDMI wireless device that can provide up to 30 feet of wireless connectivity over a direct line of sight path. The web price from their site is $999. The unit is intended for fixed use so you will have to figure out how to power it from a battery for portable use.
3. The output of the wireless system will be HDMI so you will need to find a converter from HDMI to component as your first post said the connection to the house system is component. Professional equipment will probably be required for the conversion. Black Magic design may have something to do the job.

An alternative is using an NTSC wireless link. This kind of equipment is more commonly available from places like Tiger Direct. You will need a monitor to loop NTSC out of the Canon into the wireless transmitter which will need a source of portable power. The output of the Wireless receiver will be NTSC so you will need an NTSC to component converter which is more common than HDMI to component.

If you can go wired then SIIG makes an HDMI to Cat. 6 converter which would let you use a 100' patch cable to connect with the receiver. You still need the external monitor and battery power for the SIIG transmitter. The output of the SIIG is HDMI so you still need the HDMI to component converter. The advantage of this approach is 100' of cable and an adaptor for around $350 rather than a thousand for the Geffen. If you use cable in a working restaurant you really have to be careful because it is a safety (tripping) hazard.

If you can go wired then simple NTSC video is about the cheapest option. You still have the tripping hazard to handle.

Some of your problems can be avoided by using an HD video camera rather than a DSLR. Many video cameras can output HDMI without any requirements for an external monitor. A Canon XH-A1 has a component output so you could go direct to the house system over a wired component link without any converters.

I hope these ideas help you understand the problems you are facing.

Stelios Christofides June 23rd, 2011 07:30 AM

That is why I will never sell or substitute my Sony Z5 camcorder.

stelios