DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T2i - Movie stopped recording automatically - What gives? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/497331-t2i-movie-stopped-recording-automatically-what-gives.html)

Robert James June 17th, 2011 08:24 PM

T2i - Movie stopped recording automatically - What gives?

So, we were at a concert this evening with the new Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 lens and I decided to record a few videos. When zoomed in all the way to 50mm (the stage was quite dark, please note) a little gauge appeared on the side of the LCD and then the movie stopped recording giving me a message saying "MOVIE STOPPED RECORDING AUTOMATICALLY".

Is this because of the memory cards?

I was using a PNY Class 10 8gig card when it first happened. ( )

I thought it was because the card might be full though it didn't look it. I changed cards to a Lexar Class 10 16gig card ( )

Was it because of the low light?

I was certain class 10 cards should be more then enough for the T2i in movie mode.

John Wiley June 17th, 2011 09:00 PM

Re: T2i - Movie stopped recording automatically - What gives?

There are two things that would cause a 'gauge' to appear on the side and then stop recording. One is the buffer - which I have only seen very breifly and from what I can recall (I only saw it once for a second or two) it is like a vertical white bar. The other thing that would give you a warning is the overheating - and I've never had this occur so can't tell you what it looks like.

Class 10 Cards are overkill for shooting video with these cameras - I've never had a recording stop even on my class 4 cards, and on my class 6 cards I have never seen the buffer appear. Have you been able to re-create the error or was it a once off? Do you regularly format your cards in camera? If you can repeat the error, even after formatting the card, then It is most likely a faulty card (or a fake...)

Bruce Foreman June 17th, 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert James (Post 1659361)
a little gauge appeared on the side of the LCD and then the movie stopped recording giving me a message saying "MOVIE STOPPED RECORDING AUTOMATICALLY".

Is this because of the memory cards?

Yes. This is what happens when the card cannot keep up with the camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert James (Post 1659361)
I was using a PNY Class 10 8gig card when it first happened. (Amazon.com: PNY 8 GB Flash Memory Card P-SDHC8G10-AZ (Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging): Electronics)

I was certain class 10 cards should be more then enough for the T2i in movie mode.

Should be except the cameras can be "brand picky", Canon techs have admitted this over the phone with one guy who was having problems with Kingston memory.

They advised he switch to SanDisk Extreme Class (6) and his problems "went away".

The manual specifies Class (6) minimum, but unfortunately may not mention brand. I've followed this issue since the Canon T1i and generally SanDisk users have far fewer issues. Those that did failed to follow certain good practices like formatting the card in camera immediately after purchase and again before each new project. Failing to do this still allowed these people to "slide" for a while before it "caught up" with them.

I've used nothing but SanDisk in Class (6), Class (10), and now the new Extreme Pro UH-S 1 card, have not lost a file nor seen that "buffer bar" appear. You don't get what you don't pay for, SanDisk may cost some more (Hoodman RAW costs even more!) but I don't ever want to face losing video because I "skimped" on the media.

Robert James June 17th, 2011 11:08 PM

Well, those Lexars cost me a bundle and I read over and over that class 10s would be the best hence why I purchased three of them.

Some sites are saying that I need to format the cards each time which, I admit, I haven't been doing EACH time.

Keith Forman June 18th, 2011 07:59 AM

Amazon is frequently a reseller like eBay. They may have been counterfeit cards with much lower than the listed rating.

And then there is the overheating problem of DSLRs. External monitors can help as well as a grip that holds the battery. Both of these can keep the camera cooler.

Real or Fake? | Popular Photography

Bruce Foreman June 18th, 2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert James (Post 1659382)
Well, those Lexars cost me a bundle and I read over and over that class 10s would be the best hence why I purchased three of them.

Lexar is NOT one of the "prime" branded memory cards on the market. I used Lexar CF cards in the early Digital Rebel but that camera did not "task" media very hard so I had no real problems with those, but things are different these days. The Canon DSLRs as well as Nikon DSLRs ask a lot of media in video mode and not all brands live up to claimed speed ratings and specs.

If all companies put out a product that lived up to claimed ratings and specs, you could go by the Class rating, but it just doesn't work that way. Like I said above, I have followed this issue since initially buying the T1i for video.

The fewest problems I've seen reported involved SanDisk brand (genuine, not counterfeit). The worst seemed to be Patriot, A-Data, Dane-Elec. Kingston Class (6) seemed to be unable to keep up with Canon and Nikon DSLRs with video, Transcend has a better record but still showed some problems.

Lexar MAY be OK, but I haven't seen enough reports on that brand, I distrust them because of the "jump" drives I had fail on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert James (Post 1659382)
Some sites are saying that I need to format the cards each time which, I admit, I haven't been doing EACH time.

This is something you should do but if you forget with SanDisk that brand will let you slide for awhile. Many others won't.

Robert James June 18th, 2011 07:40 PM

UPDATE: Formatted the cards and took them out to some shows this eve. Used only one card and it allowed me to record with no problems, sometimes at 10 minutes a clip.

Hmmm, perhaps it was because of none formating. Will try some other tests and see what happens

Chris Barcellos June 19th, 2011 12:02 AM

You are aware that there is a 4 gig file size limit ? That can occur around 10 to 12 minutes ?

Robert James June 19th, 2011 07:25 AM

I am, Chris. When the camera stopped recording it was not because of that. Sometimes it stopped after a few seconds.

Colin Rowe June 19th, 2011 07:34 AM

Robert, do you have Magic Lantern installed ? I ask because, if you up the bitrate only a little, it will cause the problem you describe. At least it did when I owned a 550D

Michael Nickolai June 25th, 2011 04:23 PM

I had the same problem once with my t2i and 32gb Class 10 SDHC Ridata card.

I formatted the card before I used it, worked fine till it got 70% full, then it just wouldn't record any more. Turned the camera on and off, and took the card out but it didnt help.
After formatting the card it seemed to fix it... been using that card for about 3 months now and it never happened again, but I always carry a spare card with me just in case ;)

Karl Taylor September 6th, 2011 03:37 PM

I currently use a Lexar Class 10 card with my 550D which it sometimes happens on, it also happened on my class 6 card. Found that if i use it for a couple of days and leave footage on there, then it really chokes up, but if you format it then it should be fine.

Bruce Foreman September 8th, 2011 12:05 AM

If that happened to a media card on me ONCE, I would never risk it again for fear the next time it happened it could lose me video that was a one time thing.

Now if it doesn't matter to you what you lose or when you lose it, you ought to be content with "bargain" media.

Mr. Murphy lurks just around the corner...

And many of the problem reports I've read happened on one time events. They were more than just problem reports, more like screams of anguish.

Noel Lising September 8th, 2011 08:14 AM

I can't find the thread but it was mentioned that formatting cards cause more trouble than not formatting them? The poster explained in details why we should not format cards.

I've only done 2 dslr shoots so far, each shoot less than an hour and have not formatted them. What's best practice coz I am confused right now.

Pat Flores September 8th, 2011 02:16 PM

just a quick addition to the topic in memory cards...be careful if you go for the 32Gb PNY c10...the 8 and the 16 have worked awesome for me and went for the 32 and it barely records 2sec but after fighting with it to record it eventually goes and records the full 12min...

my next purchase for memory is the sandisk 32 uh1....

I now only use the 32PNY for stills...