Beating a dead horse. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Beating a dead horse.

Ok, so my topic of discussion here is relatively simple, but it's been gone over a thousand times so bear with me on this as I do have some logic behind it.

With everything I've seen on it and all the playing around with it I've done, I'm still not convinced that the video compression guidelines that Vimeo tells us to export videos at is actually how to achieve the best looking quality uploads.

My general go to is a rather odd one that I swear unless I'm crazy looks better than the uploads I've done per their guideline. I use the same input resolution and frame rate as my output, keyframes are same as framerate but I render a CBR 9mb/s with Widescreen 16:9 pixels. I don't have any of the additional "render at maximum depth" or "use max render quality" boxes checked, only "use previews" as I usually pre-render my footage.

Up until recently I decided that I liked how this was looking, but when I uninstalled CS5 to upgrade to 5.5 I lost my presets. I rebuilt the old ones, but wanted to play around with encodes again to see if I really did come up with the best solution.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you Premiere users out there wanted to share what you think is the best setting for Vimeo when uploading some HDSLR footage to Vimeo. Maybe I am just crazy, but this has been bugging me for ages now.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Beating a dead horse.

I actually use 12Mbps cbr, 1920x1080, i'm not at my edit suite just now but i'll post a screenshot of the settings tomorrow.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah I think the Bitrate here is the contributing factor for the most part. I've done testing to Square vs 16x9 pixel aspect ratio and that doesn't seem to really affect it too much.

Like I said I match output res and rate to the input, although I have down-rezzed 1080 to 720 and I think a lot of it has to do with that as well in those cases.

I'm just adhering to the Garbage in Garbage out adage here. I'm aware that I'm not going to get super amazing quality out of Vimeo, but when I'm seeing stuff that straight looks better than mine and I can tell it's in the encoding, it bothers me.
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

When I read the thread topic, I was thinking that somebody was asking about how to create dead horse beating sound effects for a short film... :)

Anyway... your experience hints at Vimeo re-encoding no matter what one delivers. In that case, deliver all the quality that your network connection can offer!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Major Player

as promised
Attached Thumbnails
Beating a dead horse.-untitled-1.jpg  
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks James, do you know what you set keyframes to?
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Key frames are same as frame rate , so for 25p, key krames 25, for 30p, keyframe 30and so on
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD