DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern + T2i = 3x HD Crop Zoom? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/498071-magic-lantern-t2i-3x-hd-crop-zoom.html)

David St. Juskow July 4th, 2011 08:00 PM

Magic Lantern + T2i = 3x HD Crop Zoom?

I couldn't find any discussion on this, but it seems like the obvious question. T2i and T3i are identical, guts-wise. T2i has a lame SD crop zoom. T3i has a game-changing 3x HD crop zoom. Seems like it would take nothing more than a firmware upgrade to allow that feature on the T2i. Obviously, Canon has no desire to do this. Enter Magic Lantern! Is there a reason why it can't be done via ML? I don't see any discussion on this, yet clearly, having this feature would completely change what lenses we needed on different jobs.

Anyone?

John Wiley July 4th, 2011 10:38 PM

Re: Magic Lantern + T2i = 3x HD Crop Zoom?

I believe they have been trying to implement this feautre but so far not luck.

600D has just had it's first partially working alpha version of ML released. At this stage it looks like they've just done a straight port of the 550D version and whatever worked works.

This is good news for me, as I'm getting a 2nd body soon and was hoping to get the 600D so I could use the same batteries as my 550D. I don't want to get a 600D without magic lantern though.

Matt Thomas July 5th, 2011 09:42 AM

I think Alex (the guy who makes ML) says it wouldn't be easy if even possible to make the HD crop zoom with Magic Lantern.

Stelios Christofides July 5th, 2011 10:26 AM

Is the Magic Lantern for 60D still in beta stage?

stelios

Chris Barcellos July 5th, 2011 10:39 AM

Yes, they still consider it pre Beta.

Pat Flores July 7th, 2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David St. Juskow (Post 1664383)
I couldn't find any discussion on this, but it seems like the obvious question. T2i and T3i are identical, guts-wise. T2i has a lame SD crop zoom. T3i has a game-changing 3x HD crop zoom. Seems like it would take nothing more than a firmware upgrade to allow that feature on the T2i. Obviously, Canon has no desire to do this. Enter Magic Lantern! Is there a reason why it can't be done via ML? I don't see any discussion on this, yet clearly, having this feature would completely change what lenses we needed on different jobs.

Anyone?

would be cool for the 60D too...

James Donnelly July 7th, 2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Flores (Post 1665059)
would be cool for the 60D too...

At this stage, the probability of this happening is low. It would require the workings of the DIGIC, which is proprietary, to become, or begin to become known. There is no sign of this to my knowledge.

The currently hackery is based around executing code in the embedded ARM processor, which is a known architecture. Things like dermining the pixel array to read the signal from are not reachable from the ARM, so therefore not currently doable.

Nick Reuter September 4th, 2013 12:20 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread but I couldn't find any updates on this, and couldn't find it my current version of ML. Any progress?

Donald McPherson September 4th, 2013 01:14 PM

Best to check out their website. Magic Lantern | Home

Ted Ramasola September 4th, 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Reuter (Post 1811289)
Sorry to bump this old thread but I couldn't find any updates on this, and couldn't find it my current version of ML. Any progress?

I know the 5D mkII and mkIII and 7D already shoot with 3X crop 1:1 pixel with no line skipping. Looking at the chart of ML development
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...yUndteGc#gid=5
it's mentioned the 550D can also record in crop mode but as to how many frames, I don't have current info on this.

Best to visit their site to check on your camera model. I can only advice re 5D2, 7D and a little on 5D3.

Willard Hill September 4th, 2013 06:43 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to record to h.264 with the 3x1:1 crop mode or must one record to raw to utilize this feature of magic lantern.

Alex Anderson September 4th, 2013 06:50 PM

I have the M camera with ML Alpha 1 (latest version) and I can record H264 with the crop mode on.

Alex

Ted Ramasola September 4th, 2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willard Hill (Post 1811371)
Does anyone know if it is possible to record to h.264 with the 3x1:1 crop mode or must one record to raw to utilize this feature of magic lantern.

It is not possible with h264 on 5d2,5d3,7d.

Willard Hill September 5th, 2013 03:23 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Ted.