7D focus problem solved at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

7D focus problem solved

Hey all,

Just like to recount a problem and hopefully a long term solution i had a few days ago..

Problem:
Suddenly i couldn't focus properly with any lens, both on AF and manual. The best way to explain the problem is if you've used a lens with back focus that wasn't calibrated correctly. Everything looks fine through the viewfinder/LCD, but magnify and you get no / little detail. Viewed on a monitor...it just looks soft! Different lens vary in out-of-focusness. My primes - my 50 1.4; 35 1.4; 85 1.8 all had slight focus issues and my zoom lenses, my 18-135 and 55-250 had more of an issue. And they were out of focus through out their range. Just a note: The telephotos aren't the greatest quality and had noticeably more of an issue. And though the primes aren't L-Series, they're not cheap by any means and had much less of an issue.

Solution:
TAKE OUT ALL BATTERIES FROM THE CAMERA INCLUDING THE "WATCH" BATTERY, FOUND IN THE WALL OF THE MAIN BATTERY COMPARTMENT FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR. Caution!!!! you lose all your settings

Fixed the issue! (for now)
I came home after the canceled shoot when it happened, Googled and Googled for few days, but unfortunately couldn't find any info, except lots of "take it back", "replaced it", ect. Tried to micro adjust - nothing! Was ready to take it in to Canon this upcoming Monday, and also to purchase a 550D as spare/replacement...

then i found a small blog post recounting the simple solution. And it worked.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 7D focus problem solved

I had a file corruption issue a long time ago with my 20D, where random files would have the wrong date stamp, and later on, unreadable/corrupt RAW files.

The solution was not just to reset the camera including removing the watch/clock battery, but to change it. Just something to keep in mind if your problem comes back
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD