help with lens for 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

help with lens for 7D

Hello, I'm planning on renting a 7D for a multiday event. It will be my first time using this camera (I plan on learning the basics watching countless youtube tutorials) and I will be shooting a wedding and a few days after lots of action (event).

I am pretty proficient at using my Sony Fx1000 which will be my main camera but I want to add some new shots with the 7D and give it a test run before I buy it.

I want mainly to get some shallow depth of field shots, so when I rent the 7D which lens should I get with it?

Thanks for any input.
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: help with lens for 7D

if you can get two, 17-55 an 70-200 f2,8, 17-55 is IS so it can be used even for hand held shots, 70-200 will give you aprox 150-300, and shots are just amazing, if it's only one - 70-200, you can shoot from distance and it is the best lens for speeches :)
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

70-200mm 2.8 and if you want great shallow depth then go with the 85mm 1.2
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Major Player

well, since you are starting out, here is my tip.

about 30 mm is what is considered a 'normal' lens (on aps-c sensors) meaning it matches the eye the closest.
If you were to mount a 30 on your 7d you could back up for wides, move in for closeups.
there are heaps of cheap retro ones, which I have used, but also a pretty well priced Samyang at 35mm which is really good for filming with.

If you want a zoom, the standardzoom (again on APS-C) is 17-55 with a fixed aperture, preferrably 2.8 for outdoors maybe 15-85 which is a really underrated lens by Canon IMO
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It looks like I will be renting a 60D so would a 50mm 1.4 do the trick? I've never filmed with a camera should I get a stabilizer? Is it hard to follow the focus with a stabilizer or should I just hold the camera with the hands? (I'm pretty steady with my FX1000)
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD